Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

The Road to Stalingrad – Getting Cross

As part of the on-going Stalingrad build project, I am still very much on the road East.  The plan is to have a campaign covering the drive Eastwards rom Kharkov through numerous small villages and farms.  Much of my current build programme has been focussed on creating a collective farm and a small village to go with it.  This has involved a selection of buildings from Warbases and Charlie foxtrot, but I noted with interest that Sarissa also do some nice looking Eastern Front buildings, two houses and a church, so I sent my order off and they duly arrived.
Both Charlie foxtrot and Warbases do very nice churches, but the Sarissa one really appealed as it as imposing in that it was quite tall, but it also has a very small footprint, something I was keen on as a 6 x 4 table can get a bit cluttered.
In summary, a nice model that goes together very well.  However, there is one area which I am not fully happy about, the dome and cross.

Now, I know that you cannot make a solid dome in MDF, so I realised from the outset that this would involve some work, but I had a plan for this.  The big issue is that the cross on top is a Presbyterian cross rather than an Orthodox one and that is a pretty significant error.  I am not a particularly religious person, but I want to get this key detail right on a Russian church.
The first step was to cut away the circular part of the cross and the extended arms of the cross itself.

With that done, I used a pin vice drill to put two holes through the MDF.

I then built up the arms using green stuff applied on top of the pins.  As an aside, when pinning like this I use ordinary staples for thin pins, or paper clips for thicker pins.  There is no need to buy special kit, just use household bits for jobs like this.  Pin vice and drill bit sets can be had on eBay for around a fiver, so cheap as chips.

As you’ll note, I buggered this up slightly as the section at the bottom bumps into the roof, I should have put this slightly higher, but I am not bothered as it is clearly now an Orthodox cross.
The next step is to create the dome.  I had a clever plan here to use tissue soaked in PVA and build this up so that the section of tissue looked like copper sheet.  I could then paint this in a verdis gris colour.

Unfortunately, as can be seen, this did not go to plan; it looked bloody awful, so I then gave it a coat of Polyfiller before smoothing this out with a wet finger.

I let this dry overnight and then sanded it down.  It looked okay, but another coat of filler was applied before I was happy with it.  As in happy enough not to throw it in the bin.  It’s not ideal, but hey ho.

As can be seen, I used my usual Russian roofing technique with three grades of planking.  I also wanted this to be a boarded up church, no longer in use.  I used coffee stirrers for this purpose.  After that a quick paint job finished it off.  I added some Soviet anti-religious propaganda posters and added a few slogans.  Here’s the finished model.

And here it is on the table.

As said, I like this model as it has a small footprint.  However, this model does show the limitations of MDF.  Both Warbases and Charlie Foxtrot provide resin domes for their Russia churches, a better solution methinks.

Comments

8 thoughts on “The Road to Stalingrad – Getting Cross”

  1. I’m with Derek and would have replaced the rather complicated mdf solution with a polystyrene ball or the end of a wooden curtain rail which can be onion shaped.

  2. Was thinking the same lines of getting something from a craft store. I completely scratch built mine – I ended up using a large wooden chess piece (a pawn), Dremeled out the onion like lines on the thing and painted it gold. Bottom line Rich, looks pretty good for the table…will match the rest of the village.

Leave a Comment

More Lard

Return to Mitteleuropa

So, here is where we left off on Saturday which, to be honest, was on the verge of chucking the buildings in the bin.  It can often be disheartening when you do the real hard work, which in this case was re-configuring the buildings and applying the filler, and you just don’t feel you have

Chain of Command – The Bits in the Bundles

We have a very important announcement coming along later today about Chain of Command, but first we though we’d take a look at the bits and pieces that we will be including in some of the bundle packages. Firstly we have the Jump-Off Points. These are central to the rules, you will need something on

Surf’s Up – We dip our toes in

With Charlie Don’t Surf and Surf’s Up due for publication in just a few days time, we thought we’d take a look at Surf’s Up and see just what goodies were in there for the gamer thinking about getting ready for the rules.  We asked Richard to talk us through what is in there.     

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top