Well, thus far I have been pretty happy with things. So, logically, this is the stage where I cock things up. As we will see.
First, it was time to add the brick wallpaper to the outer walls. I decided that I would simply wrap the whole building in the paper and then go back and cut out the windows once that had dried. So, I slapped on the paper and got this:
Having done this once, I am hoping that there is a more effective alternative. You need to leave the glue until it has properly dried (I didn’t) and then you need to spend what feels like half of your life cutting out the apertures. It was at this point that I concluded that were this not my job I would not be doing this. As a hobby pass-time it is right up there with sticking sharp objects in your eyes. What is more, when you finish, you get an endless number of with paper edges all over the model and almost NONE of the cuts are straight or neat.
On the model below, you can see where I have had to go round every edge with PVA mixed with paint to saturate the edges and poke them into place with the end of a brush. Fortunately this is a ruined building so a bit of rough edges can be accepted, but effectively my method here was utter rubbish. Next time (if I don’t hurl myself off a tall building before then) I will try papering in sections.
To be fair, what I was trying to avoid was joins in the paper. You can see one running right down the model in the picture above. This one I have actually emphasised with some darker paint as I intend to use a wooden skewer to add a downpipe and cover the join with that, so we will have to see how that runs when we have significantly more joins, But that’s tomorrow’s problem.
The next step was simple but equally boring. I wanted lintels and sills for the windows. Here I cut up endless pieces of artists mounting board before painting it in a dark buff colour. I made the lintels 8mm deep and the sills 4mm, both of which are, I fear, too thick. Anyway, PVA and a quick stick in place did the job.
Below you can see the model with all of them done. Definitely too big. Ho hum…
No the interior. I want this to look like bomb damage with some fighting positions cleared. As we have seen, I have made the main bulk of the rubble pile from high density polystyrene. My plan is to put a base coat of paint on this and then stick it in place. With that done, I will then add rubble. I have ordered half a kilo of railway modellers rubble, 1000 model bricks and all sorts of general shite from eBay which has yet to arrive, and I also have some brick dust pigment which I am going to use with dust and other scatter on the finished model. For now, I have gone with a base coat of bitter chocolate roughly applied to the interior…
…and I have done a proper coat on the rubble piles. Thus:
When that dries I will dust it with black aerosol so I get some contrast and then stick it into place. With that done I will add some duck boards for the fighting positions. The rubble will be added once it arrives.
I’m a bit fed up at this point, but I have to tell myself that it’s not a complete cock up and that the point of a trial piece is to learn. Well, I am certainly doing that.
I am always intrigued by some of the debates regarding rule design on TMP, not least because it is probably the only real snapshot we have of opinion within the hobby. It is, by definition, a self-selecting sample and the views expressed can cover the full spectrum of sanity but like panning for gold, if