Well, waiting for the PVA wash took longer than I had hoped. It took two days to dry in the workshop, but at last we were at the point where we could prepare it for painting. I sprayed it black before going over the model with a brush to fill in any gaps, and with all of those windows there was plenty of touching up to do.
Leaving that to dry overnight, I was able to start the painting on the following morning beginning with the edges of the damaged brickwork. Here the brickwork would be exposed so I began with a pigment rich artists acrylic in Red Iron Oxide which is a great base for brickwork.
With that done, I added some white paint to dry brush a highlight across the edges.
I needed to let that dry before moving on so I used the time to think about the interior. There was going to be a lot of rubble where the building had collapsed in on itself, so in line with my earlier plan I decided to heap rubble to the two sides whilst allowing room for fighting areas to the top and bottom. I got some off-cuts if blue foam and began to cut them into shape.
These would slot into place, once painted and then I would add some rubble in the form of bricks and collapsed timber. Removing the sections, I added some wood planking made from coffee stirrers. I back-filled that with hot glue to keep everything in place…
…then I applied sharp sand using PVA glue. This looks a bit bare now, but a few sandbags and some decent sized rubble will bring this to life.
With that done, the brickwork paint had dried, so I cracked on with the interior decorating. The idea here was to get the look of the internal plaster. I began with a Vallejo Iraqi Sand which I applied all over the wall areas, taking care to have an irregular edge where it met the brickwork so it looked like plaster coming away from the wall. With that done, I mixed Stone Grey with White and used that away from the edges of the plaster. This leaves the Iraqi Sand looking like the edge sections have been water damaged or blown, whereas the main areas look like decent plaster.
With that done, I painted the bricks on the floor sections before washing the whole interior with a filthy brown on the walls and a darker black-brown on the wooden floors. This general filthy look will look like the grime of war, especially when I apply a heavy dry-brush of light coloured dust. That’s the theory anyway. We shall see how things go.
My hope is to finish the best part of the interior tomorrow first thing and then crack on with the brick wallpaper on the outside.
Sidney: Good morning Richard, welcome to this Special edition of Roundwood’s World with me, your host, Sidney Roundwood. Rich: Thanks for inviting me. Sidney: Well, in view of the arrival of The Raiders I wanted to get the full SP from the horse’s mouth. As you, and many of our readers, will know, I really