So, there I was with my models all undercoated and a selection of paints to choose from, but, if I am honest, no clear idea about what colours to choose. I had a very specific idea in mind, I wanted the village to merge in with the ground, giving the impression of a community tied to the soil in every sense and with a hint of camel poo thrown into the mix. So, in essence, it had to be a grubby, stoney, earthy sort of colour, Whatever that was.
In the end I mixed a bit of the Homebase Weathercoat Terracotta with Sandstone to give a salmon pink colour. That reminded me that when I’d done my Dark Age buildings I had started with that colour and worked up to a light beige, so I slapped that all over in a liberal fashion.
It’s an unusual base colour, but I like to build colour up and when you’re going to end up with a lightish finish I find a bit of strong colour behind it adds depth. With that in mind I then slapped on some Windsor and Newton acrylic Yellow Ochre before leaving that to dry overnight.
I wasn’t entirely happy with these colours, and I knew that I’d have to get the next colour absolutely right. In the end I went with the Sandstone but with a dash of the original base colour, bitter chocolate. This have me a good earthy colour which I finished off with a highlight of soft almond applied to the tops of the walls and lightly dry-brushed down to give a weather beaten look. And here’s how they stand bow.
Some points of note. I intend to spread sand over the bases so these are intentionally exactly the same colour as the walls, that will tie the two together when they are on the table.
I painted over the lean-to wooden structures as well as this strengthens them. Now these are done I will paint these and the roof sections in chocolate brown and then follow the same procedure again so it all blends together.
Of course, tomorrow is Christmas Day, so I doubt if I will get much done especially as my wife has informed me of which bits she will surgically remove if I “mess about with that bloody village” on Christmas Day. However, I am hoping to get the thatched areas done on the sly when she is not looking. We shall see.
A couple of days absence due to LOTS of work being done rather than none, but this has largely been boring paint slapping work on the jungle and a horrendous experience with a new project, banana groves. In the spirit of “good news and bad news”, let’s begin with the good. The jungle. As you