Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

Operation Afghan Village – Part Three

Phew! It’s been a busy day on Lard Island. I had promised myself a hard slog, and it certainly was that. I didn’t get as much done as I wanted, but I do feel I have broken the back of the initial build stage. I’m also pleased that what I have done has proved that the modular build will work in practice as well as in theory. Let’s look at what I’ve done.
First up are some of the compound options. We saw in part two how I was combining one large module with smaller ones. Here we see some options in place and a destroyed wall section which is interchangeable.
2014-12-19 14.55.12Here’s some other variations which show how the larger section of the compound is standard, then the smaller sections add the variety.
2014-12-19 14.54.20Here’s another shot of some of the wall section variants…
2014-12-19 14.56.17…and this is how we can configure the odd bits so we get infill sections of ruins to again add variety. The configuration is, again, designed to provide variety.
2014-12-19 14.57.192014-12-19 14.57.36Next we have the two smaller compounds, the ones on the rocky outcrops. I’m rather pleased with these as they add some variation in wall height. You can see the Warbases doors which have really save me HOURS of time. Normally I’d be making doors from cereal packets, a tedious task at the bet of times.
2014-12-19 14.53.12We can see here how the configuration allows for the dried wadi (or live stream) to run between the two.
2014-12-19 14.53.18Next we have a row of shop units. These will have corrugated shutters but with some signage they should add a bit of colour and a focal point for the settlement.
2014-12-19 14.56.42Here’s a shot of the rear of the shops. Warbases door again.
2014-12-19 14.56.47So that’s today’s work done. Here’s an overview of what I’ve built thus far. Tomorrow I’ll be building the mosque which has more detail involved, but already this is turning into a decent size settlement.
2014-12-19 15.00.09And here’s a shot of that 4′ by 2′ sheet of polystyrene. There’s just over 3′ by 2′ left. On the pounds, shillings and pence basis this has been a cheap build to date. I’ve used £3 worth of blue poly, a similar amount on Warbases doors, £6 on the MDF base and let’s allow a pound for some old blue poly I had knocking about which I used here. Oh, and about five quid on hot glue. That’s a total of eighteen pounds.
2014-12-19 15.01.01The next phase involved some matches which cost 79p a broom head which I have in the shed but which cost £3 when I bought it for another project. So by the time I finish the buildings it will be less than twenty five pounds in total and with plenty of material left for other future projects such as the irrigation ditches and fields. Compare this with the price of a single resin building in 28mm and I hope this shows how cost effective building your own terrain is.


3 thoughts on “Operation Afghan Village – Part Three”

  1. Really enjoying following this project – lots of inspiration. I particularly like the compounds built on the banks of a wadi/stream, which give nice variety whilst keeping in tune with the rest of the buildings. The modular nature of the build is also an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing all this and roll on Phase Three!

  2. Brilliant and timely! I’m working up my own Afghanistan project in 20mm right now. So consider you layouts nicked….
    You’ve got a fair sized settlement which will be more than enough for a platoon to clear, especially once you’ve added fields of crops into the mix

Leave a Comment

More Lard

Friction or Fiction – A Lardy Perspective on Wargames Rules

I am always intrigued by some of the debates regarding rule design on TMP, not least because it is probably the only real snapshot we have of opinion within the hobby.  It is, by definition, a self-selecting sample and the views expressed can cover the full spectrum of sanity but like panning for gold, if

The Return of Lard Dice, At Last!

Some years ago we produced some rather nice and very popular dice with our Pie and Pint logo on one face, where the six spots are normally located.  They were not only popular with gamers but were also said to have incredible powers way beyond just rolling well in a tight corner.  With a reputation

Cynewulf and the relics of St Barnabas

By June of 480AD Cynewulf had successfully raided the lands of Cynwidion twice, amassing riches amounting to a Patrician’s purse. With just little more gold he would be able to declare himself King and seek lands of his own. He was keen to do this before the year was out as in December he would

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top