Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

Operation Afghan Village – Part Six

So, the big day was now here when we began to see what the final buildings would look like. I must first apologise for the quality of photos here, it looks like the lens of the camera has got a bit greasy, so the images are not crystal clear. Sadly I cannot go back and change that, so I must ask you to forgive me.
Anyway, it was now time to apply the magic gloop. I am now a big fan of tile grout as a medium for strengthening buildings made with polystyrene, so I use this as a base with the usual addition of PVA glue, but this time with with added sand. I sieved the sand which had also been dried. You just cannot do this with damp sand as it will not mix. I reckon the ideal mix is about 50% tile grout, 25% sand and 25% PVA. Sadly I used about 33% or each and I now reckon that I have lost some strength, but that’s a bridge I will have to cross when the buildings start taking damage. It’s frustrating, so please learn from my error and don’t skimp on the grout. Anywya, here’s how the buildings looked after the gloop had been applied.
2014-12-21 16.29.592014-12-21 16.30.10Nothing very exciting there, so, moving swiftly on, I let that dry and then applied sharp sand to the base with PVA glue. Once this dried, I washed over the surface with a 50% PVA, 50% water mix to hold all the sand in place. The two stage process is necessary to ensure real stickability.
2014-12-21 17.09.51I also added sand to the roof tops, taking care to stay away from the edged where some final sanding might still be required.
2014-12-21 17.10.12Next I added some larger stones around the bases of the walls and in nooks and crannies. This further visually ties the structure to the base and allows any holes or gaps to be covered. Again, this is a two stage process. PVA, glue and then, when dry, more watered down glue to fix in place.
2014-12-22 09.17.272014-12-22 09.17.54Once that is dry, and I really do mean dry – if you fail to allow what we have done so far to completely dry you will come a cropper in the next stage – we add our base coat of paint. Here I was very keen to use Sandtex in Chocolate Brown which terrain superstar Silver Whistle recommends. However, my local DIY store only had their own brand in that colour so I went with that. I have no idea if it is as good, but I splashed it all over with a large brush. I actually did this outside as this is a messy stage. Fortunately it stayed dry!
2014-12-22 14.05.52Again. apologies for the photo quality!
2014-12-22 15.55.19The next conundrum is to decide on what colour to paint the terrain with. I really want the rich almost orange look of the photos and videos I’ve seen, but ultimately I am going to be using a sand base (as in real sand on the table) so I need to tie it in with that too. A compromise may be required. Anyway, I bought a whole host of small pots, as we can see below, blowing a ludicrous £38 on this lot and a paint brush. I should have gone to Wilkos as Silver Whistler recommended.
2014-12-22 16.01.57Next time I’ll be painting these up, so tomorrow will be decision time for the paint scheme…

Comments

6 thoughts on “Operation Afghan Village – Part Six”

  1. I really enjoyed part 5 … and I must stop reading these as it only goes to reinforce my own inadequacies.
    For what it is worth Richard, thank you for the effort and a great set of rules in C of C which has reinvigorated a hobby after a 20 year break.

  2. Hi Rich, I’ve been following this with interest having been through the whole procedure making terrain for Afghanistan in 20mm, I’ve crazily started to repeat myself using the Empress figures so I’ll be continuing to follow, keep up the good work!
    Dougie

  3. I have been following this excellent project with keen interest Richard. Some great ideas with the rock actually built into the structure and modular pieces that can be changed around for damaged walls. May have to pinch some of these ideas along with making bigger compounds for my buildings, as your research on this subject has shown and which will have an effect on how the game plays out.
    Looking forward to part seven.

  4. It took me a while to figure out the jump from Four to Six, but I have it now. Remember Rich’s “accident” with a razor earlier? I believe at least he is now shy one digit!

  5. Pingback: New Lardies project – Afghan Village | Meeples & Miniatures

Leave a Comment

More Lard

Battlefield Leadership – The Heart of I Ain’t Been Shot Mum

Background Anyone who has read first-hand accounts of the men who served during the Second World War cannot fail to be impressed by the importance of leadership on the battlefield.  With the millions that donned uniforms to fight the core of professional officers and NCOs were rapidly expanded to incorporate men for whom the military

Pickett’s Charge Advanced Orders

With Pickett’s Charge at the printers, we are now taking advanced orders prior to the publication date of the 26th of October.  As a small “Thank you” for those ordering in advance, we will be sending out a free PDF version of the rules with every hard copy ordered.  Both the hard copy and the

Dux Britananiarum Wins Award at Crisis

Here on Lard Island we have just about recovered from our fantastic weekend of gaming in Antwerp with the Tin Soldiers at what really is the premier wargaming event on our calendar. To top off a great day on Saturday Dux Britanniarum won the award for the best participation game of the show, a great

Shopping Cart
Scroll to Top