So, with the buildings complete apart from fine detailing, we ran out the game on Tuesday night at the club and it was looking okay. Most importantly, it gave me an opportunity to see what I needed to add. Here’s a quick tantalising shot of the waterfront in Larderenkirk.
Looking at the whole table, I decided that waterfront buildings like these would have yards rather than gardens, especially as they are meant to be the edge of a town. What I wanted was something that was portable and easily packed into a car bulging with two games. I started out seeking out a piece of hardboard. Fortunately an old off-cut was available in pretty much the right size.
I marked out the yards on this but realised that a piece around 20″ long and 5″ wide would be a pain to pack and would also be prone to warping. To try to solve this, I cut it into three pieces, thus:
I then added foam board with a hot glue gun to form the main walls.
Some blue foam then formed the gate pillars.
And then artists mounting board was cut for add as coping stones. If I’m honest. I could have made these wider, but hey ho. Apologies for the shaky photo. No idea why; not a drop had been consumed at that point…
Unsurprisingly, I then plastered the walls with Polyfilla before adding some detail and then adding a sharp sand mix to the base. On the left you can see that I added a water pump to the yard. I very quickly decided that adding permanent features might be too restricting so the rest of the bits and pieces that I have painted I will leave loose and add later. You can see a round area where I left space for an old well in the rear yard of the Goulden Oorlop. If anyone is considering moving to Beds or Bucks then you’ll also enjoy looking at some properties available in those areas.
And then, as if by magic, it’s all finished. As you can see, these are a few gaps, especially at the rear of the Inn, but I will cover those with scatter and plug any vertical gaps with clump foliage so it looks like climbing plants. I have painted a number of barrels for the inn, and barrows and fresh produce for the merchants’ yards. Bizzarely, it is only now that I realise that the merchants houses have no rear door, but it’s too late to worry about that. Onwards and upwards. Today I am converting some German plastic figures to crew some rubber assault rafts, More on that tomorrow.
Yesterday we looked at damaged houses, so today we will look at destroyed buildings. As was seen in reality at Stalingrad, Monte Cassino and any number of city fights, sometimes destroying buildings can be counter productive, giving the enemy strong positions with which to fight from. With a preliminary Stuka attack in the Blitzkrieg 1940