KMH2

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

BrianW

Re: KMH2

Post by BrianW »

I had not seen that, and I appreciate you providing the link. Clearly my interpretation of when the card could be used was all wrong. The next time we play KMH, I will institute that rule. I expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but as Nick says in the FAQ, "tough cheese." :lol:
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
-- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991
Nick

Post by Nick »

So who’s right and who’s wrong...? I’m not going to answer that but I do know what was intended when the rules were written. You both seem to be enjoying the rules and getting some great games so keep playing it as you are.
Play the period, not the rules.

Is that a cop out?

Also tweeting as @Dozibugger https://twitter.com/Dozibugger
And don't forget to follow Toofatlardies on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Toofatlardies/
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

Is that a cop out?
Yeah, little bit. :lol:

However, restricting the use of a held fire card to either/or where opponent movement is concerned would make the game move a bit faster. It prevents all the "how far did I move" stuff after the firing is done. I'm going to try it for the next game and see what sort of response I get.
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Nick wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:19 pm
Great to hear KMH is on the agenda for Wor Lard, I keep hearing great things about that gathering!
You would be more than welcome to come along!

Cheers,
Jim
Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride »

I'd like the refit to include something for the single ship actions, Hornblower style. Maybe that's more of a nautical version of What a Tanker, though. What a Sailor, anyone? :-)

Single ship actions have a different feel and dynamic to squadron/fleet actions. It would be great if the new version could handle both.
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
BrianW

Post by BrianW »

I'd like that too, but I'm afraid it's a pretty tall order. You need a lot more data on ship systems and whatnot for a lower level game. For instance, if I'm a fleet commander I'm not concerned about whether or not one of my ships has lost a yard. If I'm a ship captain, that could be critical. That's just one example; I know you can think of others. Since Nick said he wants to simplify even more, making the game more representative at a low level might be difficult.
DeRuyter

Post by DeRuyter »

I just ran a KMH game for our Lard America group at the Cold Wars convention in March. I used the Battle of Lissa scenario from one of the Specials. I had 4 players run the 10 ships - 2 each for the British and 3 each for the French. Everyone liked the rules and had fun. The French actually maneuvered to keep the wind and stay at long range much to the frustration of the British commanders! In the play test both fleets ran straight for each other and we had some early boarding actions. I used the 1:1000 scale Sails of Glory ships which worked well despite the chunky bases. I am planning to run another game at Historicon this summer, with ships of the line this time.

Just a couple of points about the game with a view towards a KMH2.

1. Speed changes were hard to grasp for the players and I think that could be simplified, perhaps it was the way the procedure is described. I know many rules used sail settings to adjust speed but perhaps that is a detail for a lower level of ship control.

2. Strike test could be simplified.

3. I know the rules are designed for ships of the line but a section adding rules to play smaller ships, say the lake battles for us colonials, would broaden the scope of the rules. As it is frigates lose firepower quickly once they are in close range.

4. Much of the focus, understandably, is on the "jack tars" and the frogs, but features for other nationalities would be a nice update. (Swedes, Russians, Danes, etc.)

As much as I like Chris' idea of a "What a Tanker" version I also think that is another game entirely just as IABSM is to WaT. Mind you I wouldn't mind play testing a game like that. :)

Cheers

Eric
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Having played the grand total of one game, kindly run by John Ewing at WorLard on Sunday gone, I'd hesitate to opine on how things could be changed but the things I found a bit cumbersome or puzzling or could be tightened a wee bit. The actual game was really good and felt right 'flavour'-wise.

Damage Recording: the principle is straightforward but with three ships to keep track of and rigging hits and hull hits and gun reduction and speed reduction all separate but interlinked, it felt a bit faffy. Ideally they all need to be and should be separate things of course but rather than tick off boxes on a chart, I wonder if there could be some kind of counter based tracking or something.

The British seemed maybe a tad strong. I'd expect them to be and liked the difference in tactics between British and French a lot.

The strike test relied on a lot of factors (fine) but calculating them all took a while and remembering who'd taken how much damage in a turn was also a bit of a faff.

Firepower bonuses remaining fixed even when firing guns are savagely reduced in number felt a bit odd. Simple, which is nice, but odd.

It was easily the simplest and very likely the most authentic-feeling set of naval rules I've played. I'd definitely buy a streamlined second edition and if it (Kiss Me Quicker?) was as to its first edition as SP2 was to SP1, then it would be spectacular.

PS - using centimetres felt strange. I understand inches would be problematic for a number of reasons and using cm is the sensible option, but somehow, even playing the French, measuring in cm felt a bit odd.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.
butchyboy73

Post by butchyboy73 »

I too was one of the spume soaked belligerent sea dogs taking part in John's game of Kiss Me Hardy at WorLard. It was also my first game and i thoroughly enjoyed it. Whilst I have nothing to add to the comments above as to changes in the rules etc I hope, when it gets relaunched that some clever cookie picks up on it and produces the required card decks, (similar to the ones John has which were very nice including the spare ones he had up his sleeve for the British :D ), wind direction templates etc. And also a speaking trumpet for the umpire ;)
Nick

Post by Nick »

Captain Reid wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:52 am somehow, even playing the French, measuring in cm felt a bit odd.
LOL. Thanks for your comments guys. I'm hoping to get some time to look at this in May. Fingers crossed and with a fair wind.

Also tweeting as @Dozibugger https://twitter.com/Dozibugger
And don't forget to follow Toofatlardies on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Toofatlardies/