Vehicles firing at buildings

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Victhepict

Vehicles firing at buildings

Post by Victhepict »

I understand that vehicles cannot target infantry in a building unless they see them entering or the infantry have revealed their presence by firing from the building. Some questions and apologies if they have been answered, I’ve looked but can’t see a thread.
Is it and/or? So if the tank sees infantry entering a building they can lob HE into it before the infantry reveal themselves by firing? I’d assume seeing them go in would be sufficient?
If the tank didn’t see them go in and the infantry fire from a window/door the tank can’t see have they revealed themselves? I don’t mean if the tank is outside the 45 degree firing arc from the aperture I mean on a face of the building the tank can’t draw LOS to? I’d assume no, not revealed but was curious how others saw it.
A sniper firing presumably reveals himself or would the tank have to have been on overwatch to notice and would it have to dice?
What about a previously unobserved FOO? Is calling in a mortar barrage revealing himself by firing? I mean I suppose you could argue he’s actively looking out but seems to me he’s more likely we’ll back from the window and therefore not revealed to the tank? As and aside I presume the FOO is spottable by infantry?
Thanks, just getting back into COC after a long absence and somewhat rusty!
Truscott Trotter

Re: Vehicles firing at buildings

Post by Truscott Trotter »

FOO is hotly debated. We play it if he is observing he is at the window with binos and can be spotted

Sniper tank needs overwatcv to spot.
eatU4myT

Post by eatU4myT »

Yeah, definitely only needs one condition, not both.

We would say infantry firing from a window outside the tank's LOS are not revealed to that tank, but if they are revealed to a tank commander with a radio then he can tell all his tanks they are there.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:44 pm Sniper tank needs overwatcv to spot.
Thought this might have been a new TT-rule variant - a sniper tank. That would be fun!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Truscott Trotter

Haha no just shorthand
Victhepict

Post by Victhepict »

Thanks for the responses, helpful as always!
Truscott Trotter

It hasbeen debated many times but to no concludion here are a few of may favourites

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... g+building

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... ing#p57741
Truscott Trotter

bangorstu

Post by bangorstu »

Regarding a FOO, if troops are coming under fire they all have a shrewd idea where such a person might be.

If I remember my We Have Ways Podcast correctly, the Sherwood Rangers on one occasion took out a church steeple speculatively when they came under artillery fire, which solved their immediate problem.

But that might require a hidden FOO with the opposing player hitting buildings until he gets the right one. And/or a referee.

As for snipers, I'd say you'd need to be on overwatch to spot one. Generally there's a lot of noise going on, so it would be difficult to isolate an individual rifle shot. And they are trained in How Not To Be Seen.
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

bangorstu wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:38 pm Regarding a FOO, if troops are coming under fire they all have a shrewd idea where such a person might be.
My impression from reading memoirs is they generally had *no* idea where FOOs were, except maybe in the most general terms, like 'see that hill over there, it overlooks everything round here and they've obviously got someone up there'.

Some accounts mention targeting things like church steeples, just in case there might be someone up there, but that was as likely to be snipers as FOOs. On the flipside, there are accounts of FOOs going through battles in close proximity to the enemy and never once being targeted.

Personally I think the idea that a FOO is on the table and targetable is a gamey nonsense. Managing to hit a FOO should be a matter of random chance, not something you can do deliberately.

I also think that having medium mortars firing on a CoC table is something that should be rarer than hen's teeth and both be dangerous to pretty much everyone present on the table and yet less harmful to anyone in cover than the rules have it.

My preference therefore is never to use medium mortars in CoC, except maybe as a random event like the airstrike.

Cheers,
Jim