Question: Reserve arrivals in GDA2

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

vlad48

Question: Reserve arrivals in GDA2

Post by vlad48 »

Hi again,
I noticed saw discussion of effective use of reserves in recent videos on GDA2.
Now one of many things I like in O Group is David allows reserve elements to be deployed well onto the table, as long as terrain features are under control of friendly units. This is great because it speeds play and rewards players for taking ground.
So I am wondering if GDA2 will have similar mechanics to get reserves actively into games quicker - or if Mr. Brown has other plans in this regard?

(Btw I would have welcomed being part of the proof-reading team but I fear, after an absence from the forum, I am too late for the ball.)
DCRBrown

Re: Question: Reserve arrivals in GDA2

Post by DCRBrown »

V48,

In a way, yes.

First - all reserves movement takes place after normal Tactical Movement, thus gaining the jump on enemy forces.

Second - reserves may enter the board using a "cheaper" Forwards tasking. The difference now is that under GdA2 Forwards is far more likely to result in a significantly improved Move distance. And Charge distance.

Finally - a player can use either/both the Commit the Reserves C-in-C Command which allows the reserves to enter anywhere along the table edge again using a Forwards move or you can employ the Flank Attack Command permitting your reserves to enter on a predetermined flank immediately behind your own FLOT.

All these commands enable reserves to enter the table quickly and decisively. Thus it is possible to see reserves enter the table and in the immediate next turn launch a significant/long range charge using either Forwards or the Post of Honour C-in-C Command.

Hope that helps.

DB
vlad48

Re: Question: Reserve arrivals in GDA2

Post by vlad48 »

DB,
It helps immensely. As noted in one online discussion, one writer criticized gamers for largely ignoring reserves while another countered that many rules do not reward/encourage use of reserves (often due to game-turn constraints) - so these kind of order options are welcome. I also look forward to learning more about the Flank Attack command, which sound intriguing.
- V48