Militia Formations -No Shock

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

PhilT602

Militia Formations -No Shock

Post by PhilT602 »

We have been playing that, if a Militia formation, with the "No Shock" characteristic, receives shock, then the formation is broken. However, reading the rules again, it does indicate that "No Shock" simply stops Militia with shock, forming a formation, not that the formation would break. How do other people play it?

I do find 10 man Militia units quite strong, ie, 10 dice firepower (9 if poor shots) and 10 bodies to soak up that shock/casualties & so cheap!! Our original rule interpretation did (combined with employing lower level officers) did at least slow the Militia down!!
Capt Fortier

Re: Militia Formations -No Shock

Post by Capt Fortier »

Your revised understanding is the correct one - shock will not automatically break a Militia formation, and Militia groups cannot form a formation if they are carrying any shock. Militia formations will break if any group takes excess shock forcing a withdrawal, due to the 3" withdrawal for each point of excess shock.

There has been much debate on the topic of the relative strength and proper size of Militia. See for example https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10758 and https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4424. It does seem that a key to maintaining some balance is to not overpower Militia leaders, and just as you have done, give them access to only Level I or II leaders, which reflects the more limited command control inherent in a militia force.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
PhilT602

Re: Militia Formations -No Shock

Post by PhilT602 »

Thanks Capt. Useful reminder.

A couple of useful ideas in there, for reducing the effectiveness of Militia. We always give the Militia lower grade officers, but they can still be a cheap tough nut to crack. I do like the idea of "Untried", ie,

Untried: The first time the unit comes under attack (either by being shot at or by being engaged in fisticuffs), roll 1D6. On a 1-3, all shock caused by the attack is doubled.

That seems right. These guys have not been in action before. I also like the idea of increasing the reload time, ie, normally militia would require two actions to reload, but this could be reduced to one action, if a flag is used. This would also encourage people to keep militia in larger, more unwieldy formations, which seems more historical!!

Cheers.