Infantry in line charged by cavalry

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

PedroBlazer

Infantry in line charged by cavalry

Post by PedroBlazer »

In the Conducting the Charge section (5.b.ii, p44) it states that, if charged by cavalry who started at least 15cm from their target, infantry must take and pass a DT to maintain formation in line.

First question: does the line fire first, then take the DT? Or does it take the DT and only fire if it passes the DT? I presume the latter.

Second question: is no DT required if the charge started from less than 15cm away? If that's the case then an infantry line that has less time to anticipate a cavalry charge has a better chance than one that sees the cav coming from afar.

An example might be when cav Charges On! against infantry in the second line that has been revealed after the unit in front of them has retreated, been ridden down or (if skirmishers) evaded.
nikjen66

Re: Infantry in line charged by cavalry

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi Pete,

I think in the errata for GdA1 all infantry in line test for being charged, and only if the cavalry are beyond 15cm, when the charge is declared, do the infantry have the option to change to squared.

Hope that helps.

In GDA2 the charge distance is not relevant, and infantry in line charged by cavalry ‘must’ attempt to form square with a DT.

Nick
PedroBlazer

Re: Infantry in line charged by cavalry

Post by PedroBlazer »

Thanks Nick, that makes sense. The situation is also described in Charge Example b towards the bottom of page 51, which I read after I had posted my question. It confirms that infantry in line charged by cavalry must always take a DT.