Makhno against the Bolsheviks- Chain of Command Russian Civil War

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Jredd

Makhno against the Bolsheviks- Chain of Command Russian Civil War

Post by Jredd »

This is the first game in a Russian Civil war series of battles. We are playing using Chain of Command campaign rules, ‘At the sharp end’. We have adapted the ‘Many rivers to cross’ to Ukraine in 1920. Bolsheviks have just launched their surprise attack against their erstwhile allies, Nestor Makhno and his Anarchist brigades.

After much consideration, we decided to adapt company structures from appropriate lists in the Spanish Civil War booklet. Adjustments have been made and amalgamated support options. Playing the Bolsheviks, I am selecting my troops from the ‘Falangist militia’. These are Green troops but accessing five command dice. Most of the support options are taken from the ‘People’s Militia’ list. This provides options such as flags, Commissars, mounted troops etc. Scott, my opponent, is using a trained list for his company.

This first battle is played using the ‘Hasty Defence’ scenario. Anarchists defend their capital, Huliaipole, as Red troops assault them. The objective is to clear defenders from 2 of the three end sections of the table, while also exiting troops across the far side (and into the town).

The first photo shows the edge of town, defended by Makhno’s soldiers, on the left. My attack comes in from the right. We have completed the scouting phase and deployment markers are in place. My only advantage here was to creep one counter closer to trees closest to the viewer. As usual with games set up by Scott, the table and terrain are amazing.

Dmitry Raskelnikov, fresh from some time setting up a farm run by a new People’s Collective, is quickly deployed. His reputation as a hard driving brute will be cemented during this action. With access to only the one senior leader, it is crucial for me to have the dice to maintain any sort of attack.

Last edited by Jredd on Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jredd

Re: Makhno against the Bolsheviks- Chain of Command Russian Civil War

Post by Jredd »

The first determined attack comes on the Red’s left flank. I advanced one whole squad right to the edge of the small wood, looking to leap forward into the buildings.

The Anarchists finally respond. An entire squad reveals its position, deploying in carefully concealed entrenchments in front of the wood. Their shooting quickly changes the minds of their poorly trained enemy. My attackers are forced to pull back, out of sight of their tormentors.

Last edited by Jredd on Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jredd

Post by Jredd »

A second squad of Anarchists deploy into the farm building in the centre of town. Now we can see the shape of the defence, the hope is that some pressure can be applied.

The Anarchist’s Praporshchik (Junior Officer), Yury Zhivago, deploys in buildings to the rear. Life has certainly not progressed the way he had wished when he first joined the Officer cadets in the years before the First World War, but he does what he can to help his nation. His command dice to bolster whatever comes next.

Last edited by Jredd on Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jredd

Post by Jredd »

The Anarchists complete their deployment, placing a maxim into the farm on their left. Their role is to break up any attacks before they can develop.

Fortune, however, favoured the attackers. A few effective activations saw effective fire brought down upon the most forward Anarchist squad. Lucky shots saw their corporal mortally wounded. Alarmed at this, Scott withdrew the men to an orchard in the rear. This would give them an opportunity to recover.

It was not to be for the unfortunate defenders. A run of consecutive Red activations coincided with deteriorating Anarchist morale. A bold section of Red soldiers advanced to into enemy lines. They were able to advance their own jump-off point while simultaneously closing down one of their opponents. At this point, I neglected to take any more photos. While he still could, Scott withdrew his survivors, hoping to husband his resources for game 2.

The Anarchists will be without 7 men in the second game. Unfortunately, the failed defence saw Makhno lose confidence in his junior officer. His men, however, were glad to have been protected.

Raskelnikov’s unsubtle method found favour with the Bolshevik command. What are a few casualties in such a noble cause as eliminating counter revolutionary types? With three riflemen missing the next game, his men saw things slightly differently. Their opinion of their leader dropped as they contemplated repeating these tactics in the future.

We had a great time adapting Chain of Command to this earlier era. It maintained a good flavour, while providing the usual narrative possibilities.
Last edited by Jredd on Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jredd

Post by Jredd »

Hmmm, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with images?
Peter

Post by Peter »

No, but I'd love to see them!
MLB

Post by MLB »

Jredd wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:34 am Hmmm, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong with images?
Are they hosted at a third party site like Imageshack? You need to have your images linked to the site where you store them.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
Jredd

Post by Jredd »

Thanks for your help MLB. I gotta say, posting reports is a lot easier on FB.
Munin

Post by Munin »

Perhaps, but finding those reports isn't.
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

yes I will be quite interested in seeing the photos, it sounds fascinating.