Question about making formations

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Marcushill500

Question about making formations

Post by Marcushill500 »

I am little confused on when I roll when going from a closed column to a line. If have 32 troops that's four groups.

So three can form up with no roll but the 4th has to roll right? Does that roll take a movement action?

Also with regard to wheeling. If one side moves back and one moves forward then I roll two dice and drop lowest. Do both sides then just wheel that amount.

Thank you! I totally new at tabletop miniatures play.
Bishop2K7

Re: Question about making formations

Post by Bishop2K7 »

Forming Up is an action, so groups 2 and 3 send an action but can move into position without rolling movement. The fourth group has to use movement actions until it catches up. However, the other groups don't have to wait for it. They can do other actions (fire, reload, etc.) while the last one is moving.

Wheeling. Not sure I understand the question. The whole formation wheels either forward or back. Then can't do both at the same time. Though the rules don't say it specifically, I do believe the fixed point of the wheel has to be one of the ends. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.
PhilT602

Post by PhilT602 »

Yes, "wheeling" is perhaps a poor description, it is more pivoting about one corner. One man, either at the front right, or left, stands & marks time, while the rest of the line pivots around him. Naturally those wheeling look out to the moving flank, shortening their step, to ensure the guy at the far moving end isn't having to sprint?!

In SP2, forming onto a line is free, if the unit starts within an inch, just requiring the one Command Initiative, to do so. Within 4" I believe the attaching unit expends one action. Beyond 4", the attaching unit dices for movement as normal.
Marcushill500

Post by Marcushill500 »

Ok this helps much. We were definately wheeling wrong.

So just to clarify if I have four ranks. I expend one action to "form up" and then another to roll a move die to try and get the 4th group to within an inch?

Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Bishop2K7

Post by Bishop2K7 »

The first 3 groups spend an action to Form Up, but will have an action left to do what they want. The fourth group will have to spend its Form Up action moving into place. If it doesn't make it into position with that one action it will have to spend its second action moving as well.

If it still doesn't make it, then the next time the formation is activated, it will have to keep using movement actions until it makes it into place. The rest of the formation doesn't have to wait for it. They can keep doing whatever they were ordered to do. Also, you don't have to activate the groups separately, they all get two actions when the formation as a whole is activated.

Hope I'm explaining it alright.
Marcushill500

Post by Marcushill500 »

Yeah that helps alot. I did not realize you would or could treat each block of eight as its own entity. This makes much more sense now.
Bishop2K7

Post by Bishop2K7 »

Yes, but they will usually all be doing the same thing. There are a few exceptions like the above, but even then the last group is trying to follow orders and act with everyone else. They just need to get in line first.

If you wanted the groups to do two completely different things, then that would probably require a separate command from a leader.
Marcushill500

Post by Marcushill500 »

Yeah that makes sense. In the latter I would probably do that at a cost of one of his initiatives as well. During the first game we kind of went with what makes sense at the time.

I have watched maybe 4 sessions on YouTube that Richard took part in. That helped tremendously as well.