Medieval World: 13th Century Western Europe, which rules?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Jim Bim 65

Medieval World: 13th Century Western Europe, which rules?

Post by Jim Bim 65 »

Good morning everyone.

I have a lot of miniatures (English and Scots) and i´m not sure, if there is a ruleset from tfl that would fit for them?

Many thanks in advance for feedback !!!!

Greetings from Vienna!
Marlow

Re: Medieval World: 13th Century Western Europe, which rules?

Post by Marlow »

Afternoon Jim Bim,

Closest you'll likely get is Dux Britanniarum as I'm sure I've seen article or two in the TFL Specials extending the ruleset to later periods, (Vikings spring to mind).

NB - I'm not a Dux player so I'm sure there will be others on here with a much greater insight than mine.

You may be aware but there was also an up to date Index of TFL Specials articles - beyond my IT competence to post a link but I'm sure some helpful soul might.

Also Midgard isn't far away (?) and as a "high fantasy" system I'm sure this will be easily portable to 13th Century conflict / Baron's Wars etc...

Best of luck,
Jason
Multum in Parvo
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Early "hand gonnes" and artillerie? Got to be "Mediaeval CoC Light".

Go on, I dare you!
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Jim Bim 65

Post by Jim Bim 65 »

Marlow wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:37 pm Afternoon Jim Bim,

Closest you'll likely get is Dux Britanniarum as I'm sure I've seen article or two in the TFL Specials extending the ruleset to later periods, (Vikings spring to mind).

NB - I'm not a Dux player so I'm sure there will be others on here with a much greater insight than mine.

You may be aware but there was also an up to date Index of TFL Specials articles - beyond my IT competence to post a link but I'm sure some helpful soul might.

Also Midgard isn't far away (?) and as a "high fantasy" system I'm sure this will be easily portable to 13th Century conflict / Baron's Wars etc...

Best of luck,
Jason
Hi Jason,

I didn´t know something about Midgard, and that it is in the pipe, but what I found sounds very interessting, so many thanks for your hint!

BG
Jim
Jimintring

Post by Jimintring »

Have a look at the Summer 2013 Special, Of all base Passions. Based on SP. An interesting starting point.

Jim
Allan JD

Post by Allan JD »

There is an update for the 'Of all base Passions' rules which use the mechanisms of Sharpe Practice for the Wars of the Roses. This can be downloaded for the SP Face Book page files section and was posted on 22nd December 2019.
One of the lads I wargame with umpired a couple of scenarios using these for a two a side game to try them out. For small skirmish actions I thought they worked rather well
gilliessim

Post by gilliessim »

Not a TFL offering so apologies on not following the brief however Rob Jones is a historian and has his own set of rules in development which have had some good feedback. I'll add that I haven't used them or play this period. He is on twitter and very helpful chap indeed:

Also they are called Blood and Horse droppings which does have a lardy feel to it!

https://www.historianinharness.co.uk/me ... aming/bahd
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Following on from gilliessim's heretical post ;) - I would also look at Never Mind the Bill Hooks - the card driven activation and leadership system is essentially the same as the core of Sharp, Infamy etc.

I don't believe there is anything "ready to go" in the TFL stable at the moment - 'Of all base Passions' would certainly work as a core/base and Midgard may well be perfect (I don't know how the mechanisms, such as activvation, reflect TFL core mechanisms if that is your preference, or what army lists etc may be included)
gilliessim

Post by gilliessim »

AAAAAGHHHH I can see the pitchforks and torches!
Jimintring

Post by Jimintring »

Cover them in LARD and burn them at the steak(!)