Ambush Unit

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Cearapeter

Ambush Unit

Post by Cearapeter »

Hello Everyone

Earlier today we have a game of 'O Group'; scenario 2 from the Barbarossa booklet.

At the initial deployment my opponent got four ambush units. As the game progressed all four ambushes were 'sprung'.

However, he then declared another ambush unit in the shape of a light tank platoon (BT-7).

My view was that while a defending unit was allowed additional ambush units, such units had to be 'heavy guns'.

In addition, he paid no orders to have the tank platoon placed on the table.

Any advice etc would be warmly welcomed.

CP
Forst

Re: Ambush Unit

Post by Forst »

Were any of the previous four ambushes a heavy gun?

As far as I am aware the ambushes are triggered by units attempting to enter the cover in which they are placed, or by active reconnaissance or by the player activating it in their own phase.

Unless the ambush unit wants to react or opportunity fire no activation is required if the former ie if the attacker tries to enter said cover, the attacker backs off (unless armour overrun attempted) and can shoot using his move and shoot option. the defender only gets a shot if activated with an order, normally before attacker shoots, the defenders fire normal automatic as it's close range. No order no fire!
TheLimey

Post by TheLimey »

Any heavy guns can be placed in ambush at the start, over and above the rolls you get for ambush units.

If any of the already sprung ambushes were heavy guns, then the BT-7 could have been part oif the 4 units rolled as being in ambush, and he was OK to do so.
Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Hello Everyone

I accept and agree all that has been said. However, in this scenarion all the available four ambushes had already been sprung and none were heavy guns.

The BT-7s were a fifth ambush and were obviously light tanks. My position was that the BT-7s could have been any of the previous four ambushes but could not be a fifth ambush as it was not a 'heavy gun'. Thus they could only be on the table via the base line or deployed on a CP.

As it was to my surprise they flanked my Pz111s (all ambushes had been sprung and there were no CP in sight so they were totally unexpected) and consequently had a significant impact in that they damaged both my AFVs. Which were later finished off.

Thanks all for the input.
j1mwallace

Post by j1mwallace »

I would agree . Under what rule did your opponent think that he could deploy the BTs ? They could as you have said , deploy on a CP or come on at the enemy baseline . There is no special rule allowing light tanks or recon to deploy except as above .
OverTheHill

Post by OverTheHill »

My view was that while a defending unit was allowed additional ambush units, such units had to be 'heavy guns'.
P18 Rule 4.5 Sec f : In addition to the dice rolls, as well as Heavy Guns, bunkers and dug outs can also be manned with Ambush units.
Perhaps some of your opponents other ambushes were bunkers/dug outs?
In addition, he paid no orders to have the tank platoon placed on the table.
P36 : Nevertheless the BT-7s still needed an order to React Fire!