How can a wargame be realistic?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

How can a wargame be realistic?

Post by MLB »

Partly inspired by some of the discussions on the Oddcast here are some of my thoughts and reflections on the nature of 'realism' in table top wargames after many decades of gaming both in miniature and with board games. I think we all have strong opinions on this so I've no doubt others will differ in their levels of agreement with my thoughts, but this is a discussion that comes up regularly in clubs and on forums so here's my two cents worth. The full article is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... istic.html
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
minigamer

Re: How can a wargame be realistic?

Post by minigamer »

you can know some things in a real battle, and this is translated into things like how far you can move etc... but even in real battles you cant know things , like chance of ambush, or breakdowns etc... so in a wargame you roll a dice for the unknown happenings, so its a simulation.
lauryfriese

Post by lauryfriese »

Wargames can be designed to simulate real-world military tactics and strategies that have been used in historical battles or conflicts. This can include things like flanking maneuvers, defensive positions, and coordinated attacks. Candy Crush
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Always remember Donald Festherstones rules for WW1 trench raids. Put in 10watt globe painted blue turn on for 5 seconds per turn.😉
For WW2 realism would suggest duing your opponent's turn you have a metal bin on your head while someone beats on it with a baseball bat.😝
TheLimey

Post by TheLimey »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:50 pm Always remember Donald Festherstones rules for WW1 trench raids. Put in 10watt globe painted blue turn on for 5 seconds per turn.😉
For WW2 realism would suggest duing your opponent's turn you have a metal bin on your head while someone beats on it with a baseball bat.😝
And for a Cold War Gone Hot game, wear a pair of waders, a latex top and a gas mask....?
Beancos

Post by Beancos »

MLB wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:28 pm Partly inspired by some of the discussions on the Oddcast here are some of my thoughts and reflections on the nature of 'realism' in table top wargames after many decades of gaming both in miniature and with board games. I think we all have strong opinions on this so I've no doubt others will differ in their levels of agreement with my thoughts, but this is a discussion that comes up regularly in clubs and on forums so here's my two cents worth. The full article is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... istic.html octordle
I've often heard it said that wargaming can never be realistic, no one is in danger, real bullets are not flying and there is no blood.
steve_holmes_11

Post by steve_holmes_11 »

I'm not sure danger to life and limb is the kind of realism most gamers crave.

I'm perfectly happy to be offered the sort of decisions that my real live commander would make.
Back that up with believable movement rates and combat results.
Play to a result in under three hours and I'm happy.

I recall the sort of "Realism" from 1970-80s games which took an hour to play out five minutes of battle (or fifteen seconds if we were doing aeroplanes).
I didn't enjoy it very much.
Toys R Fun
grewnauseating

Post by grewnauseating »

Beancos wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:26 am
MLB wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:28 pm Partly inspired by some of the discussions on the Oddcast here are some of my thoughts and reflections on the nature of 'realism' in table top wargames after many decades of gaming both in miniature and with board games. I think we all have strong opinions on this so I've no doubt others will differ in their levels of agreement with my thoughts, but this is a discussion that comes up regularly in clubs and on forums so here's my two cents worth. The full article is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... istic.html dinosaur game
I've often heard it said that wargaming can never be realistic, no one is in danger, real bullets are not flying and there is no blood.
That's right. Definitely.
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Beancos wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:26 am I've often heard it said that wargaming can never be realistic, no one is in danger, real bullets are not flying and there is no blood.
Whoever said that had obviously never witnessed - much less taken part in - a WRG 6th Edition Ancients competition.....
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Marshal Rob

Post by Marshal Rob »

It's an oft repeated discussion, way back in the past I suggested one aspect of the topic can be resolved, by your opponent smashing the "dead" figures or bases with a hammer, keeping the prisoners for their collection, wounded/routed figures must be repainted.......then, in every losing situation the loser is hit on the thumb twice, the winner once. For draws, both receive 2 hits. Player decision making will be seriously affected!!
Feathersone's ideas are beautiful.
Once we played a Napoleonic game, where the defender set up while the attacker sat in a separate room. He had a map and showed a number of positions from which he wanted to observe/recce the enemy. Then an independant person(from memory it was me) held a small video camera as close as possible to terrain level and panned along the opponent positions, with approriate instructions from the "observer" - back a bit, zoom a little, do it again etc.. The other room had a TV, now you can use a variety of devices.The attacker then made his cunning plan. Sorry but I cannot remember the result - old age!
This was in 6mm - not the skyscrapers of the bigger toys.
Cheers
M.Rob