Attacking dykes / uphill

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Crusty Colonel

Attacking dykes / uphill

Post by Crusty Colonel »

Is there anything in the rules / additional scenarios etc that gives guidance for fighting defenders positioned on dykes? Or indeed attacking up slopes in general?
I'm thinking a -1 for attackers to hit dice roll - depending on severity of slope / hill.
Thoughts?
Capt Fortier

Re: Attacking dykes / uphill

Post by Capt Fortier »

I think this would be covered by the terrain effects for movement - a formation moving to contact a unit defending a dyke or a steep hillside receives 1 or 2 shock per group moving into contact
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Crusty Colonel

Post by Crusty Colonel »

Capt Fortier wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:50 am I think this would be covered by the terrain effects for movement - a formation moving to contact a unit defending a dyke or a steep hillside receives 1 or 2 shock per group moving into contact
Agreed, as per p38, but this does appear to be a pretty minor effect?
Munin

Post by Munin »

I dunno, Shock decides these games, so taking 1 or 2 extra Shock per group before the combat even starts is a pretty sizeable disadvantage.
Crusty Colonel

Post by Crusty Colonel »

Munin wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:12 pm I dunno, Shock decides these games, so taking 1 or 2 extra Shock per group before the combat even starts is a pretty sizeable disadvantage.
Perhaps the 'per group' is the key here then? I'll give it a go when I've got my dykes made up and see what happens!
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

There's also the rule on p.46. It only applies to shield walls, but you could use that and the shield wall rule for flat ground to house rule something.
Crusty Colonel

Post by Crusty Colonel »

JimLeCat wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:26 pm There's also the rule on p.46. It only applies to shield walls, but you could use that and the shield wall rule for flat ground to house rule something.
What is the shieldwall rule for flat ground? Ignore the first kill (p.47)?
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Well, yes, there's that as well! :D I was thinking though about the weaker version of the high ground rule, where the owner of a shield wall always gets to allocate odd hits between groups - basically the same as the cover rule.

Cheers,
Jim
Crusty Colonel

Post by Crusty Colonel »

JimLeCat wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:00 pm Well, yes, there's that as well! :D I was thinking though about the weaker version of the high ground rule, where the owner of a shield wall always gets to allocate odd hits between groups - basically the same as the cover rule.

Cheers,
Jim
I see. Got it now!
Crusty Colonel

Post by Crusty Colonel »

In my latest video (The Battle of Devil's Dyke), which will be released tomorrow, I used the standard rules; i.e. groups gain 1 shock as they move across the dyke and lose 2 pips per die for movement.
It seemed to work ok actually, so no need for a rules tweak!

The Crusty Colonel's Wargames Show
@CrustyColonel18