GdA 2nd Edition Rules! Update 3

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Marshal Rob

Re: GdA 2nd Edition Rules! Update 3

Post by Marshal Rob »

Hi Dave,
One concern about one option is that after my Standard French line battalion has taken a pounding and is nearing the -2, I can dissolve it into reinforcing my brigade skirmish line - problem solved or is there a penalty for damaged units? Was this done for this reason - maybe in the revolutionary wars?

Cheers
Rob
nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi Rob, In the version we are play testing units that have taken hits will produce less reinforcement to the skirmish line and units so dispersed count as lost for brigade morale. So yes you can avoid a unit dispersing and causing a falter test, but the impact is minimal and does use up a brigade tasking as well as reducing your brigade morale.
DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

MR,

Yes, all units can do this - but there are issues.

First, you reduce your ability to hold ground in the face of the enemy or offer support.

Secondly, each non-light infantry unit dissolved into the skirmish line counts as a dispersed unit for victory/defeat purposes.

Historical example, of which there are many of this type:
After D'Erlon's corps had been defeated at Waterloo one regiment "was reduced to about four hundred men and were formed into a single battalion. We then deployed as sharpshooters along with the Young Guard."

DB
Slynx

Post by Slynx »

Secondly, each non-light infantry unit dissolved into the skirmish line counts as a dispersed unit for victory/defeat purposes.

Does this mean that when you dissolve the unit into the Skirmish line that you take a falter test for the dispersed unit?
DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

S,

Not quite that drastic!

If using the Victory/Defeat rules to assist in calculating who has won/lost a scenario - these battalions count against you.

DB
Slynx

Post by Slynx »

Thanks Dave, I guess the follow on question then, is does it count towards the brigade demoralizing if it takes it over the 50% threshold

ie 5 battalion brigade, lost 2 battalions, then when you dissolve this into the Brigade skirmish screen, does the brigade go to demoralized status. or does it get recalculated as a 4 battalion brigade?
DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

S,

Easier to address once GdA2 is out, as demoralisation is treated differently.

Stand by.

DB
john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

I am hoping that GdA2 is out soon, we have put our Napoleonic wargaming on hold now for 4 months, so happy to hear "Stand by"
Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

DCRBrown wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:49 am
1. Reinforce the Skirmish Line:
• All Light battalions and any French battalion graded as Line or better, can reinforce by either reducing their battalion size by one grade, e.g. Standard to Small, and increasing the skirmish line by one base as a free action in the movement phase. This can still be done even if either unit is unformed.

DB
Really like this change, but I’m wondering if setting the reinforcement at just one base is not too harsh? The difference between a large and a standard battalion might be 300 men. (Perhaps 200 in the case of standard/ small). I imagine this reflects the common practice of some nations’ battalions sending their entire third line to reinforce the brigade screen, or perhaps sending out an entire company.

If it prevents your screen from falling below the critical two-base minimum it might be worth doing, but it’s a significant cost.