CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944 (updated 5 May)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

mluther

Re: CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944 (updated 2 April)

Post by mluther »

Another fun AAR The Croc is certainly intimidationg.
MLB

Post by MLB »

mluther wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:22 pm Another fun AAR The Croc is certainly intimidationg.
Most definitely. His aggressive patrol phase and then the early double phase combined with the pre-game barrage encouraged the British to move fast with their infantry to try to close down the German jump-off-points. Unfortunately that meant the tank was always going to be lagging behind. That was exacerbated when he used his second double phase a little later in the game to spend a CoC die to bring one of his jump-off-points forward and then deploy from there. His infantry was constantly outstripping the tank. That meant once the Germans had that run of consecutive phases they could focus on the British infantry and not worry about the Crocodile. Had it turned up on the front line the outcome of the game could have been very different.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
mluther

Post by mluther »

The broken down bus is very cool. Fits in perfectly with this campaign too.
MLB

Post by MLB »

mluther wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:27 pm The broken down bus is very cool. Fits in perfectly with this campaign too.
Thanks, glad you like it, I was really pleased with the way it came out, so much so there's a blog post about it here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... nibus.html
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

A bit of gap due to Easter and work commitments but we're back with game 4 in the campaign. The British find the Germans holding a small village and trying to delay them. Can they continue to hold off their pursuers? Full AAR here http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... r-day.html
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

And the obligatory picture:

The Tactical Painter
Capt Fortier

Re: CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944 (updated 5 May)

Post by Capt Fortier »

Another great looking table and game and another tough and bloody fight. Fascinating to see the effect of attrition on the attacker's side, far more than most other PSCs where the attacker almost invariably swap in their other platoons when available. And likewise the effect of more scratch forces for a defender. Those features make this campaign an interesting option for all sorts of theatres (I am keen to give it a go in the Western desert, and possibly with a switch of attacker-defender at a certain trigger point to capture that Benghazi Handicap feel). Interested to know Dave's reflections on this campaign too. It seems having a full suite of support options would be super-attractive, but as we've seen in practice, far from the kind of overwhelming force it looks to be on paper.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Dog who drinks paint

Post by Dog who drinks paint »

It’s been another great campaign, thanks for all the reports. It still seems like if it wasn’t for bad luck, Dave would have no luck at all.

Will definitely be giving this PSC a go some time in the future.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Capt Fortier wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:40 pm Another great looking table and game and another tough and bloody fight. Fascinating to see the effect of attrition on the attacker's side, far more than most other PSCs where the attacker almost invariably swap in their other platoons when available. And likewise the effect of more scratch forces for a defender. Those features make this campaign an interesting option for all sorts of theatres (I am keen to give it a go in the Western desert, and possibly with a switch of attacker-defender at a certain trigger point to capture that Benghazi Handicap feel). Interested to know Dave's reflections on this campaign too. It seems having a full suite of support options would be super-attractive, but as we've seen in practice, far from the kind of overwhelming force it looks to be on paper.
Thanks. It's certainly a nice twist on the usual campaign structure. There is a tendency for a snowball effect. In my case it favoured the Germans with those early victories but it could easily have gone the other way. It got to the point by the end of game three that unless the British could turn things around rapidly the campaign was heading to a foregone conclusion. Either side can certainly win but that volatility can throw it off balance.

I'd also consider a few changes for playing it in France. The British motor platoon is small and quite brittle. Given it's intended as part of an armoured brigade I would compensate by making armour more readily available, although I'd restrict what's available to only armour from armoured brigades which would mean excluding things like Churchills. Cromwells and Shermans on the other hand would be plentiful. Perhaps give the core platoon one of these for 'free' and allow a number of replacements at no cost; alternatively make the first one a cheaper support (4 points?) and the others at normal cost, or, make them all cheaper (5 points?). I'd give similar thought to the cost of armoured cars, carriers, recce sections and half tracks.

Western Desert sounds like an interesting theatre for this and a perfect setting for this sort of mobile campaign.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

Dog who drinks paint wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 12:43 pm It’s been another great campaign, thanks for all the reports. It still seems like if it wasn’t for bad luck, Dave would have no luck at all.

Will definitely be giving this PSC a go some time in the future.
Thanks. Dave doesn't have bad luck, he loses because he's faced with a superior gamer using quality play :-)

If you're interested in giving this a go see my comments above about the tweaks we'd suggest. I'm also not sure about the victory point system, especially given the snowball effect that can occur. I think a few tweaks there would help keep both sides in the game even if one side was winning more games. We found that by the end of game three it was looking very difficult for the British to have a chance of clawing their way back into contention - hence us not playing the final game given the foregone conclusion. Ideally that game is a nail biter with the campaign in the balance.
The Tactical Painter