CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944 (updated 5 May)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944 (updated 5 May)

Post by MLB »

The Ruckzug campaign for Chain of Command was written by David Hiscocks and appeared in the 2021 Lard Magazine. It follows the desperate rearguard actions of a hastily organised German kampfgruppe as it attempts a fighting withdrawal across Northern France to find refuge in Holland and Germany. Somehow they must find a way to stall the British pursuit and allow as many German units as possible to escape. It's a nice twist on the normal campaign structure and offers challenges for both sides.

I've summarised the campaign and some of the mechanics in this overview post which will help you understand the general situation if you are not familiar with the campaign:

http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... rview.html
Last edited by MLB on Fri May 05, 2023 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
MLB

Re: CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944

Post by MLB »

The German kampfgruppe has managed to pull in a few support units before the first game, but will it be enough? This first game is a delaying action at a small village in Northern France. The full report is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... aying.html
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

Here is a picture:

The Tactical Painter
7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

Yet another beautiful AAR! Great-looking figures and some of the best Chain of Command gaming on the planet. Thanks!

But a couple of points....

The MG42. As per 7.4 an MMG cannot be moved at all if the crew falls down to only one man. Therefore I would argue that the MG42 is not salvaged when the sole remaining gunner breaks. Of course one could say that the man grabbed the MG42, leaving behind the tripod... but as the remaining gunner broke, i.e. did not retreat in an orderly way, would he have grabbed the MG off the tripod? Doesn't sound likely to me, but had he done this, you would have been left with an LMG.

Of course, as the Brits withdrew first and you were left in control of the battlefield, I suppose the Germans can go and retrieve the tripod etc., so you'll still have the MMG in the next game.
7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

The second thing is where you move a denied Jump-Off Point...

As per 7.6 "Troops moving to within 4” of an enemy Jump–Off Point will deny its use to the enemy while they are in such close proximity."

The question is whether you can move a JoP after the enemy has moved to within 4" of it. We've discussed this previously in our group and I think we came to the conclusion that in the absence of other proof, moving a JoP constitutes "use" of it. Therefore a denied JoP cannot be moved by its owner. This of course depends on your interpretation of the rules.
MLB

Post by MLB »

7dot62mm wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:03 am The MG42. As per 7.4 an MMG cannot be moved at all if the crew falls down to only one man. Therefore I would argue that the MG42 is not salvaged when the sole remaining gunner breaks. Of course one could say that the man grabbed the MG42, leaving behind the tripod... but as the remaining gunner broke, i.e. did not retreat in an orderly way, would he have grabbed the MG off the tripod? Doesn't sound likely to me, but had he done this, you would have been left with an LMG.

Of course, as the Brits withdrew first and you were left in control of the battlefield, I suppose the Germans can go and retrieve the tripod etc., so you'll still have the MMG in the next game.
Good point but I guess as you say if they have the table at the end they could recover it, but yes, as per the rules, the lone crew member could not be moved.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

7dot62mm wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:22 am As per 7.6 "Troops moving to within 4” of an enemy Jump–Off Point will deny its use to the enemy while they are in such close proximity."

The question is whether you can move a JoP after the enemy has moved to within 4" of it. We've discussed this previously in our group and I think we came to the conclusion that in the absence of other proof, moving a JoP constitutes "use" of it. Therefore a denied JoP cannot be moved by its owner. This of course depends on your interpretation of the rules.
This one comes up a lot and even Rich seems to interpret it differently at different times. Dave and I have always played that it cannot be used for deployment but it can still be moved. In our interpretation a jump-off-point is (in Rich's definition) an area to which friendly units can get to safely without being seen by the enemy. An enemy unit within 4" means it's no longer safe to reach that destination but that doesn't mean you can't establish a new position further back that is still safe. We imagine a NCO or officer saying "you can't go much further, the enemy is up there, but you can deploy here...." Not sure if that makes sense, but it's wide open to a different interpretation.
The Tactical Painter
7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

MLB wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:19 am Not sure if that makes sense, but it's wide open to a different interpretation.
Makes perfect sense! Thanks.
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

This is interesting as I have vacillated on the matter. However, on reflection I have come to the conclusion that you CAN Move it.

So Mark's answer does indeed makes perfect sense.

Rich
MLB

Post by MLB »

richard wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:55 pm This is interesting as I have vacillated on the matter. However, on reflection I have come to the conclusion that you CAN Move it.

So Mark's answer does indeed makes perfect sense.

Rich
Ah okay, that’s clear. I tend to think this also ties in with the use of a CoC die. I had other things I’d much rather do but the threat to the jump-off-point required a command decision and use of a command ‘resource’ that might have been spent elsewhere.
The Tactical Painter