CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944 (updated 5 May)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Re: CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944

Post by MLB »

The Germans fall back to an area of farmland and try to make a stand near a small farm. No time to dig in or prepare defences, will they be able to hold back the British once again, or will they face a more chaotic retreat? The full AAR is here: http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... ck-at.html
Last edited by MLB on Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
MLB

Re: CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944

Post by MLB »

Here's a few pictures:

The Tactical Painter
MLB

Re: CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944 (updated 12 March)

Post by MLB »

The Tactical Painter
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Another great AAR and just shows the power that can come from keeping your powder dry (so to speak). I think this is a really clever campaign and v much enjoying seeing it unfold. Also enjoying seeing your lovely terrain get free reign - this table was an absolute beauty to behold! The tree-lined avenue, the nest of woods off from the sharp bend in the road... it brings France 1944 to life... you can readily see the Sherman printing their proud tracks i' the receiving earth...
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
MLB

Post by MLB »

Capt Fortier wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:40 am Another great AAR and just shows the power that can come from keeping your powder dry (so to speak). I think this is a really clever campaign and v much enjoying seeing it unfold. Also enjoying seeing your lovely terrain get free reign - this table was an absolute beauty to behold! The tree-lined avenue, the nest of woods off from the sharp bend in the road... it brings France 1944 to life... you can readily see the Sherman printing their proud tracks i' the receiving earth...
Thanks. I think my 'new' terrain mat has made a big difference. It's one of the old Citadel grass mats that I bought off someone at the club. I liked it because the grass matched my flock quite closely and so the terrain pieces blend in to the mat much better than my other Cigar Box cloth mat. It's also a case of 'more is more' with this sort of setting, you can't have enough terrain sometimes.

The campaign is appealing because it's a slightly unusual take on the normal ladder style campaign. Despite the two German victories my D3 roll for victory points after each game has given me only the minimum one point for each game, which means it won't take much for the British to turn the tables.
The Tactical Painter
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

MLB wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:58 pm The campaign is appealing because it's a slightly unusual take on the normal ladder style campaign.
Agreed - and yet the circumstances that it covers - one side fighting desperate rearguards with cobbled-together forces and needing to hold on long enough and do enough damage to the other side to get units away, and the other with seemingly overwhelming force but needing to push hard and fast and so having to take dangerous chances to win through - seems really well suited for this scale and for so many WW2 theatres and campaigns. I'm keen to try it in a Western Desert setting (Benghazi Handicap), which could go in either direction, and with a possible random support option of a staff car with a couple of general officers... though other than the transport, not sure what they'd bring to the fight other than nuisance value ;)
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Peter

Post by Peter »

The possibility of the general officers being killed or captured. With some kind of bonus for the other side.
PML

Post by PML »

Another beautiful AAR !
Your blog is so inspiring !
MLB

Post by MLB »

The Germans turn and stop once again to try and hold back the pursuing British. So far they've managed to conduct a very orderly withdrawal and prevent a rout, but can they continue to keep the British at bay or will the retreat dissolve into chaos? Another game in the continuing saga of the Ruckzug campaign. The full AAR is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... ck-in.html
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Re: CoC Ruckzug campaign France 1944 (updated 2 April)

Post by MLB »

And the obligatory picture:

The Tactical Painter