Army size

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

thesignaller

Army size

Post by thesignaller »

Can anyone tell me the smallest size in points for an army?

As I’ll be at Salute, so maybe pick up a couple of small armies with the rules.

Thanks
MarkBackhouse

Re: Army size

Post by MarkBackhouse »

There is no minimum points for an army, but to make a game of it, I’d suggest 4-5 units per side minimum. The book has 10 scenarios in it (and you can download another three interconnected ones for the Bibracte campaign from the TFL website. The smallest scenarios in the book are 4 v 5 units at Nikopolis (we added an extra unit per side and filmed this one for Lard TV) Cilician Gates is 5 v 5, and Bagradas River 5 v 6 units. The largest army size for normal battles is 14 per side, although some of the battles I’m currently writing go a bit over this and there will be special rules to reflect their magnitude. Most of the scenarios for the bigger battles are about 10-12 units per side.

As most 2mm units can be interchanged easily in 2mm with a simple name magnet change so Gauls become Germans etc you tend to get a bit more bang for your buck in 2mm. Did you have particular forces in mind? In the army lists all forces start with a core force of 3-4 units and then build from there. Of course let history be your guide, but these form a useful starting point for a historically reasonable army in most cases!
thesignaller

Post by thesignaller »

I was thinking Early Imperial Rome v a barbarian army, possibly Britons.
But like the idea of label swaps for them.

I'll check out the campaign and Lard Tv thanks

I'll have a play with the army builder as I don't have the rules yet and see what I can come up with.
thesignaller

Post by thesignaller »

I have found a board I can paint green and put a grid on, but it’s only 90cmx60cm so would give a grid of 12x8 I believe.

What’s the best size army for this small board?
MarkBackhouse

Post by MarkBackhouse »

I’ve answered on the FB page for you!