're deploy order

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Forst

're deploy order

Post by Forst »

Can someone please explain exactly how a redeploy order works?

I have searched in pickets charge, and the Napoleonic version as well as the errata sheet, and they all talk about retiring to reserve or to the left of right flank, but non explain the mechanics of the evolution. Ie how fast?

Is it a form of teleport, or simply authority to March using normal moves to the new location?

If by normal moves do you use the retire move rate (30cm), column of March etc?

I have heard both argued?

Any clarification could help😀

Thanks
DCRBrown

Re: 're deploy order

Post by DCRBrown »

F,

Redeploy: Move a brigade to a new position in the battle line. Redeploy is not needed for a minor change to the axis of advance or angle of attack, but allows a brigade to take a completely new position in relation to other friendly brigades, such as moving from the right flank to take up a position on the left flank, or move in Reserve. The brigade is not simply placed in its new position; it must use standard movement to reach its new location. Once issued the tasking remains active until the redeploy is completed.

Hope that helps.

DB
Forst

Re: 're deploy order

Post by Forst »

Thanks,

That's what I thought it meant, but my co players thought it was a means to teleport as a ruse, to move an on table reserve from one flank to the other!

I did think it might be reasonable to retire an on table brigade off table into reserve using this order and retire moves, and then let them use the normal sequence of bringing the brigade back on table in another move using the appropriate staff officer rules ie two to redeploy, and 2 bring on off table reserves, with the brigade staff officer off table this could be an expensive and fraught sequence!

It might require a compulsory extra turn off table to allow for the delay in moving from one flank to the other?

Or just get the battle plan/deployment right in the first place!

Cheers