Rules Questions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

jvorhis15

Rules Questions

Post by jvorhis15 »

Dear Mark,

As both a longtime Ancients wargamer (DBA, DBM, To the Strongest!) and a Classicist (Classics Department lecturer at the University of Iowa), I wanted to start by telling you how much I have been enjoying "Strength and Honour" in recent weeks. My dad, an Ancients wargamer himself, introduced me to S&H late last year and, ever since then, my excitement--to say nothing of admiration--for the rules has been growing at a rapid rate. I am tremendously impressed not only with the elegance, innovativeness, and tactical meatiness of the rules, but also the incredible amount of historical flavor you have managed to work into them. This is truly a first-rate ruleset, and one that my dad and I will be playing for years to come, I am sure.

With a few S&H games now under our belt, I wanted to reach out with a few rules questions that my dad and I have had but couldn't find immediate answers to:

1. Is a unit permitted to Drift while in an enemy ZOC? If so, would the unit need to pass two Manoeuvre tests (one for the Drift itself, and another for moving in an enemy ZOC)?

2. Do Warband units charging through rough terrain receive their normal charge bonus?

3. What happens to a unit if it is pushed back into its own camp?

Hope your new year is off to a good start and I will look forward to hearing from you whenever you have the time!

Sincerely,
Justin
MarkBackhouse

Re: Rules Questions

Post by MarkBackhouse »

Hi Justin
I’m really pleased you are enjoying them.
1) While in theory you probably should take two tests as I wrote the rules, I tend to just make any manoeuvre test where you would check either for terrain, ZOCs as a single test and make it one point harder to achieve on the dice roll for speed of play.
2) Yes warband should still get a charge bonus in rough ground. Bear in mind that their combat score would be reduced to 2 (and their opponents score would be reduced similarly or even to 1 if cavalry).
3) The unit would get pushed back into the camp assuming it was friendly and occupy it. I’ve added quite a bit on camps in the FAQ and errata sheet on the TFL sheet that I hope will clear this up a bit more!
I hope this helps? The Facebook page for the rules tends to get a good footfall and these sort of things get asked occasionally on there too!
MarkBackhouse

Post by MarkBackhouse »

Sorry for q1 the answer is also - yes it can drift. Pretty risky though!
jvorhis15

Post by jvorhis15 »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the rules answers--and my apologies for the slow response! The past few days have been rather hectic.

I like your house rule regarding multiple manoeuvre tests (i.e., having a player role just once but applying negative modifiers to the role). Might you consider making that an official rule change in a future version of the Errata/FAQ?

Thanks again for the answers, and hope your new year is off to a good start!

Best,
Justin
MarkBackhouse

Post by MarkBackhouse »

No problem Justin. Let me know how you get on!
I’ll update the QRS at some point. Prioritising new lists and scenarios first though.