Coastal Patrol

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Quackstheking

Coastal Patrol

Post by Quackstheking »

As I'm organising the Lard Workshop in Nottingham, someone has written to me separately asking where they can find the Ship data for Coastal Patrol. This is not a game I play, so can anyone help or point me in the right direction.

If you can I can put you in touch with the chap who is enquiring who appears to use a GMX account and is living in Switzerland.

Thanks

Don
rim66

Re: Coastal Patrol

Post by rim66 »

There are some files in the IO Group - if you don't have access and he doesn't, let me know and I'll downlaod and email them to him.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo
Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Thanks Richard,

I located the files on Groups IO and sent them to the gentlemen, also suggesting that he joins that Group for the files and this one for the Q&A's

Don
nicholascaldwell

Post by nicholascaldwell »

I'd like to have those, too -- what is the name of the IO group? I tried "Too Fat Lardies" and "TFL".

Best,
Nicholas

PS -- I wouldn't have known about Coastal Patrol if not for the recent threads and I'm looking forward to trying it out with my Cruel Seas ships.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

nicholascaldwell wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:24 pm I'd like to have those, too -- what is the name of the IO group? I tried "Too Fat Lardies" and "TFL".

Best,
Nicholas

PS -- I wouldn't have known about Coastal Patrol if not for the recent threads and I'm looking forward to trying it out with my Cruel Seas ships.
Hi Nicholas, the name is TooFatLardies@groups.io

John
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

nicholascaldwell wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:24 pm PS -- I wouldn't have known about Coastal Patrol if not for the recent threads and I'm looking forward to trying it out with my Cruel Seas ships.
Nicholas - I became interested in playing Coastal Patrol about 2-3 years ago, and started collecting 1:600 vessels from manufacturers in the UK and from PT Dockyard in the US (lovely chap, very helpful). Initially, I ignored Cruel Seas because I thought 1:300 was too large, especially when I began to look at bigger actions (eg where a flotilla of MTBs would be controlled by a destroyer); then someone gave me some of the "small ships" sprues sent out by one of the wargaming magazines - MTBs and S-Boats - and I thought, ok we can maybe play a skirmish. And then my collection started growing - as did the available table space when my regular gaming buddy (the only other gamer in the village) set up his own "bunker" in his back garden. Now we routinely play with all sizes and numbers of vessels in 1:300. I have never played "Cruel Seas" but everyone I know who has played both that and "Coastal Patrol" says the latter is more fun - not totally "beer and pretzels" but fairly straightforward without being overly technical.

Keep an eye on the Lardy Discord channel in case there are more "Virtual Lard" days. A guy on there named "Sarge" (Canadian - super guy) organised and umpired two splendid scenarios for VL5 and VL6. The first involved an S-Boat attack on a British convoy chugging down the east coast of England with the players all being S-Boat commanders; the other was a two-sided game with S-Boats from Calais trying to get past the RN picket-line (MGBs and a destroyer) to attack the Normandy beaches on D-Day+1.

Incidentally, if you want "really serious" coastal warfare rules, the sets by David Manley are without doubt, the best in the business.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
mellis1644

Post by mellis1644 »

I would second Narrow Seas by David Manley. Although not a lardy game it does have a lot of lardy aspects - friction, blinds etc and the author certainly knows his stuff on the subject.
Check out my painting/activity blog: https://mellis1644.wordpress.com