Beginner questions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

PaulTurnet

Beginner questions

Post by PaulTurnet »

Hello everyone from Spain! how are you doing? I hope you are fine!

I have recently discovered this game and after reading the rules I have some questions.

Imagines 3 hurricanes flying in Vic formation. The leader is a top ace and the other 2 are veterans. When the formation card is turned, the leader selects 3 for the d4 dice. The spd budget is 10 (7 for the hurricane + 3 for the d4). The leader decides to do a break turn as his first maneuver for 4 spd points. The two veterans in formation must take the maneuver test to stay in formation. The fist one passes the test and conform to the movement of the leader but the second one fails the test and he must fly straight.
  • First question: The veteran that has failed the test, how many points does he has to move? Only 7? The hurricane base spd modified for damage?
  • Second question: As one of the pilots has failed the test, the formation is broken. For the rest of the movement, do the leader and the pilot who passed the test continue moving together? I mean, the leader has spent 4 points of 10. He now decides to do another break turn (4 more points) and a level flight (using the last 2 points). What can the pilot who has passed the test for the first break turn do? Can he conform the new movement of the leader passing the corresponding check for the new break turn? Or, does he has to move alone as the pilot who failed the first break turn? And in this case, how many points does he has to move?
  • Third question: If instead of 3 aircraft there were 4 flying in finger four (two pairs) and one of them fails the maneuver test to stay in formation, what happens to the rest of the aircraft? For example, in the following picture, imagine that 1 is the leader and makes a break turn, the number 2 fails the check and moves straight and 3 and 4 pass the test (second pair).
  • Fourth question: What happens if the leader fails the altitude adjustment test after performing a break turn? The formation is broken? And what happens if the leader passes the test but his wingman fails? The formation is broken even the wingman has passed the test to stay in formation?
I hope I’ve made myself clear. English is not my native language. Sorry if I make some mistakes writing.

Thank you in advance! ;)
Archdukek

Re: Beginner questions

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Paul,
Welcome to Bag the Hun. No need to apologise for your English which is excellent.
I don’t currently have access to my BTH rules so the following answers are from memory.

Basically the speed of any aircraft in a formation is determined at the start of the action before any manoeuvre is undertaken and will remain that throughout. Any aircraft will still seek to conform to their leaders movement as far as they can for the rest of that movement unless forced to do otherwise by failing a test. At the end of the current movement they will be out of formation. So in your first example the 3 Hurricanes all have a Speed budget of 10 which will then be spent as the move unfolds.

I’d answer your questions as follows:
Q1 the veteran pilot who failed the test will move 10 hexes straight ahead since that’s his speed budget.
Q2. The second veteran will continue to attempt to conform to his leader’s movement even though the formation is broken. However he will have to roll separately for his speed at the beginning of the next turn and will no longer be able to follow the leader automatically since the formation is now broken.
Q3. The second pair will conform to the movement of the leader since they passed the test, but the finger four formation will be broken for their next activation though the pair will count as a formation still.
Q4 You apply the outcome of any failed test to the relevant aircraft and if that breaks the formation then the individual aircraft will need to test for their speed individually next turn.

I hope this helps.

John
tinfish

Post by tinfish »

When you fail a maneuver you move only your basic speed modified by any damage, it would be 7, not 10.
PaulTurnet

Post by PaulTurnet »

Thank you all for your replies!

I think I have things a little clearer now.

Regarding my last question, question number 4, if the leader fails the altitude adjustment test after performing a break turn and he loses one altitude level, do the rest of the formation, after pasing the maneuver test to stay in formation, conform to the movement leader and also lose one altitude level? and if one of them also fails the altitude adjustment test, does he lose another altitude level (i.e. two levels in total)? And another one, looking at the compendium Scramble!, at the end of the document, there is an example of a game. At some point of this game, a pilot fails an altitude adjustment test and it seems like if he has to do a descend maneuver, moving one additional hex ahead when he finishes the brake turn.

So, following my example with the hurricane formation, I understand that the following steps are correct, right?:
  1. The leader selects 3 for the d4 dice. The spd budget is 10 (7 for the hurricane + 3 for the d4).
  2. The leader decides to do a break turn as his first maneuver for 4 spd points.
  3. The fist veteran in formation passes the test and conform to the movement of the leader.
  4. The second veteran in formation fails the test and must do a straight movement of 7 spd points (the base movement for the hurricane). Formation is broken.
  5. The leader decides to do antother break turn for 4 spd points more.
  6. The veteran who passed the first stay in formation test must do another one to follow the leader. Let´s say that this time he fails the test. Must he do a straight movement of 3 points (7 for the hurricane minus 4 for the first break turn he did)?. And what happens if when he fails the test, he has spent more points than the aircraft base movement, does he stay in the hex where he failed the test?
Sorry for making so many questions. I have been looking for a set of rules like this one for a while and I would like to play it well.

Thank you very much!
tinfish

Post by tinfish »

Can't answer all those questions, but failing your maneuver makes you move your default speed forwards, it could take you over you total speed budget.
So, let us say you have 10 movement total, you do a break turn for 4,you then move 2 hexes forwards having spent 6 points so far with 4 remaining and attempt a second break turn which if you succeed takes you to 10, you fail it though. You move forward 7 hexes having totaled 13 for the turn.
This takes you over your total speed, but likely puts you in a disadvantageous position.
Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

I believe that the altitude test is not a maneuver test just a ramification of the maneuver so the formation would conform.
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"