Question about Soviet Forces 39-43

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

ibtuten

Question about Soviet Forces 39-43

Post by ibtuten »

Hi all,

Love the IABSM rules, but I'm curious about handbook info for mid-war Soviets. It looks like Blitzkrieg in the East covers 1935-1939, and Vpered Na Berlin covers 1943-1945, but is there a book that covers forces in the middle of the war i.e. Barbarossa, Stalingrad, etc.?

Thanks!
Itinerant Hobbyist

Re: Question about Soviet Forces 39-43

Post by Itinerant Hobbyist »

Old post, but wondering same thing
djbamforduk

Post by djbamforduk »

/
Last edited by djbamforduk on Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djbamforduk

Post by djbamforduk »

These must have been covered by the old IABSM 2nd edition 'Bliztkrieg' handbook, which I think covered 1939 - 1942 for both western and eastern Europe.

This was one of four 2nd edition theatre handbooks, which were supposed to get quick updates at a rate of one per month, so they would all be updated by Christmas 2011 (!).

I Ain’t Been Shot Mum, the authors interviewed on the Roundwood Report
September 30, 2011:

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/i-aint-been ... od-report/

Instead, eleven years later (!), we have a situation where the early and late war are covered in impressive detail, whereas there is a gaping hole in the mid war with East Africa, the Western Desert, the Balkans, Operation Barbarossa and the later war in the Far East still lacking appropriate theatre handbooks.

Anyone who already owns copies of these old 2nd edition theatre handbooks can simply apply 3rd edition change from the following quick update sheet:

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/using-old-i ... s-with-v3/

If I had known that the old theatre handbooks would be withdrawn from sale without replacements, then I would have bought the old editions and updated them myself with the official Big Man conversion chart. After all, that's still what has to be done with IABSM scenarios in old Summer and Christmas 'specials' PDF magazines, which are all still available for sale.

I have been in touch with IABSM custodian Robert Avery about this and I have just sent a message to Richard Clarke via the online shop asking for the old 2nd edition handbooks to be put back on sale.