Solo refight of Mockern 16 Oct 1813 - 4th and final hour

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

ShadowDragon

Solo refight of Mockern 16 Oct 1813 - 4th and final hour

Post by ShadowDragon »

The final hour of Mockern:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmPMRtT7

Highlights:

1) Delmas crashes into the flank of Olsufiev's Russian division and then into Kapzevich's division causing both faltering divisions to disperse (poor ADC roll)
2) Dombrowksi's Poles walk into a vacant Gross Widdertizsch
3) Yorck's Prussians attack Mockern for a fourth time and take the northern half of the village
4) Friedrichs' Marie Louises hang on and disperse the Prussians in Mockern (great faltering table roll and great shooting)
5) Hiller's veterans try to retrieve the situation in a desperate attack - outnumbered they fail

Result = a French minor victory (they would have had to take Lindenthal for a major victory which was pretty unlikely)

Right up to the last two turns the battle could have been at least an Allied minor victory as they could easily have held on to the northern sector of Mockern and Gross Widderitzsch. A major victory would have required them holding Lindenthal, Gross Widderitzsch and both halves of Mockern. If they had not had the unit holding northern Mockern disperse it's possible they could have even captured the southern half of Mockern.

So a battle really in doubt until the very end. The rules played well with the Prussians capturing and vacating Mockern twice. I thought the large number of batteries on both sides would stretch the rules too far but they seemed to handle the situation realistically. A very satisfying game - even with nearly 2000 figures on the table.

Link to the post on the previous (3rd) hour: https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 41&t=13549
Last edited by ShadowDragon on Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polish lancer

Re: Solo refight of Mockern 16 Oct 1813 - 4th and final hour

Post by polish lancer »

Really nice mate. Care to share the OOB and map?

ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

polish lancer wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:01 am
Really nice mate. Care to share the OOB and map?
The OOB is in replies to the earlier post for part 1 (1st hour).

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13547&p=87373&sid= ... 155#p87373

I’ve altered the title to mention that it has the OOB.

Here’s the map...hope the link works. https://flic.kr/p/XrxPwM

Light green ovals are hills. The dark green ovals are marsh. The river is not fordable but the stream is easily crossed by all troop types. For my game I added woods to the hills by Birkenholz.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

SD,

My congratulations to General Delmas!

DB

Pyjamas

Post by Pyjamas »

That was very entertaining SD. I went back to the start and watched the entire battle unfold on your flicker account. Superb looking game.

Cheers

Carlo

ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

DCRBrown wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:00 am
SD,

My congratulations to General Delmas!

DB
Langeron rolling just one ADC when he had two faltering brigades was icing on the celebration cake. Darn dice...they fail you at the most critical moments. :D

ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon »

Pyjamas wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:35 am
That was very entertaining SD. I went back to the start and watched the entire battle unfold on your flicker account. Superb looking game.

Cheers

Carlo
Thanks, Carlo. Flickr wouldn't be my first choice for story telling but they do offer 'free' web hosting for photos. Maybe someday I'll set up a blog/web site for just such a purpose.

Paul