Feint Cavalry Charges

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Igor2020

Feint Cavalry Charges

Post by Igor2020 »

Hi All

I am looking at refighting the third day of Funetes de Onoro, when the 7th and Light Divisions carried out a withdrawal in contact in the face of Massena's attack.

Three French infantry divisions and most of their cavalry attacked and forced back the British right flank.

During this action commentators refer to the outnumbered British cavalry making feint charges to slow the French down.

How can I replicate this using Genral d'Armee? Any one have any house rules which cover this situation?

Best Wishes

Igor

bellebsc

Re: Feint Cavalry Charges

Post by bellebsc »

Cavalry v infantry only.

Hope this helps as an idea to your issue.

Cavalry still follow normal charge procedures , wheeling 45^, charging straight ahead perpendicular to their front. Measure the distance to the target unit. If the cavalry are equal to or more than half distance of a full cavalry charge move then they may initiate a feint charge and move up to "10cm" mark of the intended target unit, anything less than half of a full charge move then no feint charge may be declared. If the cavalry sucssefully execute their feint charge then the infantry will suffer a penalty in their movement phase only, as cavalry are not at the "5cm" mark of the target the infantry do not take any DT

PROCEDURE

Cavalry move up to the "10cm" mark of the intended target. Then cavalry will role on the DT table.

PASS = Cavalry sucsessfully executed a feint charge, they now step back 5cm away from their original target and halt formed.

The target unit in the game turns movement phase may still advance but do so with extreme caution at half speed only. Formation changes are not effected.

UNFORMED = The cavalry fail their feint charge and now becomes an uncontrolled charge against the target unit ( Normal charge procedures apply )

RETREAT = Cavalry retreat and take D3 casualties. Infantry suffer no movement penalty in the turns movement phase.

I hope this gives you some help towards in your scenario on slowing down an infantry advance. Would like to know your thoughts or tweeks

Ricky.

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

I,

Bellebsc/Ricky makes a useful suggestion.

The only additional point I'd raise is how much evidence we have for "feint" charges. One way to analyse this is what order did the commander give to his troops? I doubt very much there was a standard operating procedure called ordering a feint charge! (Though I could be wrong ;) ). I think its just simplistic "wargame" terminolgy from older rulesets/books, its not a feint charge, (leave that to cossacks), its a slow ordered charge up to a certain point.

So, it may be more a case of the cavalry commander advancing at a more controlled speed, say trot, in order to keep better control of his units and be able to halt them at the desired point, which is what Ricky is suggesting. Personally I'd advance at normal move distance but ignore the charge bonus. Then take the DT as Ricky has suggested.

DB

Igor2020

Post by Igor2020 »

Hi Ricky and Dave

Thanks for your suggestions, I will try them out and see how I get on.

Interestingly British Cavalry were very good at this sort of thing, they performed well on the retreat to Corunna, the actions here at Fuentes and on the retreat from Quatre Bras. Commentators refer to the British Cavalry making feint charges at the French Artillery at Fuentes, must be French Horse Artillery as they evaded sharpish.

So I think the feint is declared as a charge as normal and only revealed as such once your opponent has decided his re-action.

Regards

Igor