British Para Squad

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

George2591

British Para Squad

Post by George2591 »

I have finished my Airborne Platoon and going to solo mini campaign KvL. My guys are organised as per the ‘44 chart, so a Bren, 2” mortar and 8 others. How best to fit this to CoC? Three man Bren team, 2 man mortar and 4 man rifles or lump mortar with the rifles?

Truscott Trotter

Re: British Para Squad

Post by Truscott Trotter »

The Para TO&E changes over time, but there is one version in the main rule book.
The 2" mortar is normally separate team in CoC even of part of the platoon HQ.
Each section has 2 teams and there are SMG's as well as rifles.

Matt1066

Post by Matt1066 »

I’d suggest playing as three teams within the squad: Rifles, Bren and Mortar. The JL has the ‘superior’ rule so can sometimes have 3 CI which will help keep the chaps moving.
Thanks, Matt
The Wargames Table

Truscott Trotter

Although a superior JL may activate on a 4 nothing I could see in the rules mentions them acting as a senior leader and gaining a CI.

FWIW the other month we played a big CoC game and I ran Serets Para list ( as it was a 1943 scenario) and soon found the problem with having a 2" mortar in each section.

You could sit and shoot or move

Leaving a whole section stationary was not always what you wanted esp in Big CoC.

How I longed for just one 2" team I could use as a smoke machine while my boys advanced 😁

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

Page 89, bottom:

"Special rule: Airborne Section Leaders may activate on a Command Dice roll of 3, with two command iniciatives, or on a roll of 4, with three Command Iniciatives."

I don't see the "superior junior leader" in the list.

George2591

Post by George2591 »

As you won’t need the mortar all the time he could be part of the rifle team, but cannot fire the mortar if he moves. Might try that.

Truscott Trotter

Emilio wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:58 pm
Page 89, bottom:

"Special rule: Airborne Section Leaders may activate on a Command Dice roll of 3, with two command iniciatives, or on a roll of 4, with three Command Iniciatives."

I don't see the "superior junior leader" in the list.
Ah OK thanks Emilio thats pretry clear. Very powerful.
Superior Junior leader must be the terminology from other lists will have a look when I have time.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:21 pm
FWIW the other month we played a big CoC game and I ran Serets Para list ( as it was a 1943 scenario) and soon found the problem with having a 2" mortar in each section.
You could sit and shoot or move
Leaving a whole section stationary was not always what you wanted esp in Big CoC.
How I longed for just one 2" team I could use as a smoke machine while my boys advanced 😁
Is it not possible to reorganise the platoon and group the 2" mortars together, as line platoons often did with their Bren teams?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Seret

Post by Seret »

This question has been bounced around here a couple of times. One really good suggestion that came out of it was to treat the sections as normal, with gun team and rifle team, and then to treat the 2" mortar like a panzerfaust. So you don't need to worry about exactly who's carrying it, it just fires when you spend a CI on it.

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

I like your aproach Seret. My only "but" is I think a 2'' mortar needs more preparation for firing than a panzerfaust.