Chariots in Infamy

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

TrajanSPQR

Chariots in Infamy

Post by TrajanSPQR »

So I’m loving my download of Infamy having preordered. I’m already thinking of how to make Dacians lists...but with British you get options for chariots it seems linked to nobles or warriors I’m trying to understand how many chariots per ten men what is the ratio and how best should they get modeled here. Also are there rules for British nobles without chariots or similar. Just seeing how chariots should best be capitalized on Modeling wise and how it should be used as a unit. Do they move fast and ten man squad jumps out or are they an intact unit heading for battle.

Quackstheking

Re: Chariots in Infamy

Post by Quackstheking »

Chariots are abstracted such that a Group of 2 chariots will transport a group of 10 warriors. Basically when the warriors are mounted then you move the chariots as a group. When the Warriors dismount they are placed in base to base contact with the chariots and then the chariots can be auto moved further behInd the warriors to act as a Rallying Point.

British Nobles and Warriors do not come equipped with chariots. Chariots is one of their characteristics which means that they can purchase a transport group of 2 chariots per warrior group for 3pts. They don’t have to have chariots but they are the USP of the Brits.

Unlike in many rules, the chariots are not armoured fighting vehicles. They are great for speedy movement (and evacuation) and the ability to do darting javelin attacks whilst loaded up with warriors gives you the opportunity to both kill the enemy and build fervour.

Put simply - Chariots; don’t leave home without them!

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Or try to swing low with them.....
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

DougM

Post by DougM »

On my read through I am loving the way that chariots are modelled, it seems to reflect Caesar's accounts of his invasion of Britain very well, the Romans really struggled to cope with chariots initially.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

RevBoone

Post by RevBoone »

Some questions concerning chariots..

A.) How many dice are used for the Javelin attacks from chariots...(missle attack, p. 41)

The warriors get to do the "drive-by attack" using 1d6 for 2 warriors, so a full group of 10 warriors can hurl 5 javelins - and if any of those 5 javelins kill, they get a bonus to fervour.

If I am wrong, maybe it is a single attack form the pair of chariots. I think I keep thinking of that chariot as an attacking vehicle. But it is a mode on convince for ancient Brits to perform shenanigans on the battlefield. :)... not the super carts ...

B.) This Javelin attack uses up the warriors ammo? Or does the chariots supply them with a "free javelin" for the drive-by attack?

C.) Are Britons are the only Army (so far) that can use chariots? I'm sure this is a case, but just in case there was a misprint I was not aware of...

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

a) You can only chuck javelins/spears with the warriors on board. So as that's Warriors that's 1 per two warriors. The show of bravado, generates Fervour and if you actually kill someone then you choose where to put an extra point!

b)Yes it is one of the 3 javelins/spears that the warriors have. No Freebies!

c) So far yes! Who knows what future supplements may have. Most evidence is that Gauls dispensed with Chariots before 100BC.

Hope that helps

Don

RevBoone

Post by RevBoone »

Yes, it helped, thanks!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

The only other chariots you are likely to see in this period is with scythes on them 😁

RevBoone

Post by RevBoone »

Yeah, now when I see the wheel blades on media I think about other more realistic ways to use chariots than slashing monstrosities. Wouldn't a body get caught up in the spokes and send you flying off your cart - like a stick in a bicycle wheel? Maybe the Egyptians and Hittites designed them better? Maybe Hollywood doesn't know how chariots work?

This game makes you think about HOW units did things and WHY. I played a lot of Civilization games - I didn't think about what chariots were than merely the earliest and fastest ancient unit used for 2000 BC "Zerg rushes" before Infamy, Infamy!
Last edited by RevBoone on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Scythe chariots were rare as hens teeth compared with all the other types in history and were not particularly effective against disciplined troops.