Newbie questions French Indian wars.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

JOHN BOND 001

Newbie questions French Indian wars.

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

I am currently putting together miniatures for French Indian wars.
I am very new to this era and Sharp Practice and have a couple of questions and help would be much appriecated;

1.The unit list towards the back of the rule book only notes the points value for units but does not list the points value for a leader?
2. Is the leaders value added on via table on page 80?
3. In regards to the French Indian wars, what would dictate how many leaders are assigned?
4. Are there limits to what Status the Leaders are ?
5. If you want to expand a unit of 6 Canadian milita to 8, how to you calculate the cost on points? or can you do that?

thanks John

Capt Fortier

Re: Newbie questions French Indian wars.

Post by Capt Fortier »

John, having marveled at your WWII productions I'm sure I'm not the only one excited to see your tabletop modelling applied to this period!
1.The unit list towards the back of the rule book only notes the points value for units but does not list the points value for a leader?
2. Is the leaders value added on via table on page 80?
Answer: Spot on - points value for Leaders in SP2 are set out in the generic support lists on p.80, and are essentially 3 points per leader level (so Level 1=3; Level 2=6; Level 3=9; &c). See also here.
3. In regards to the French Indian wars, what would dictate how many leaders are assigned?
Answer: Captain Reid provides some excellent guidance: "I quite like a rough guideline of one status level per 6 points (so 3 Groups of 6 point line might have a Leader II and a Leader I, whereas 2 Groups of 3 point Militia would have a Status I), with some leeway to allow for better officers for certain forces."
4. Are there limits to what Status the Leaders are ?
Answer: Status III is usually the highest on the table, and although you can go higher (up to Status IV - see p. 22 of rules), the wise men of SP2 (Capt Reid, ArchdukeK, et al) generally advise against it as being too powerful (can do too much).
5. If you want to expand a unit of 6 Canadian milita to 8, how to you calculate the cost on points? or can you do that?
Answer: The size of groups is generally set by the troop-type - so the Milice Canadienne are Skirmishers, which are always groups of 6. The Sharpulator calculates points by group (cf. by figure), and generally troop-types are of fixed group sizes. There are some exceptions: Line Troops are usually in groups of eight, except for Militia (groups of 10); some light troops are trained to operate as either Skirmishers (groups of six) or Line (groups of eight); and Dragoons are in groups of eight when mounted, but groups of six when dismounted.

I don't know if Milice Canadienne were trained/able to operate as both skirmishers and line and a quick search of the forum doesn't suggest so, but I'm sure there'll be others with more SP2/FIW experience and knowledge than me who can best advise.

Eagerly looking forward to seeing your foray into this period and what tabletop eye-candy we might be in store for!
Last edited by Capt Fortier on Sun May 24, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

John, you might also find this link re: comparison of the core lists and Sharpulator calculations useful.
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

DougM

Post by DougM »

Like the good Captain, I too will be very interested to see your terrain efforts for the FIW.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

The Milice Canadienne were essentially Skirmish Troops (in SP terms). However, on occasion, (eg Quebec, but possibly also the Monongahela) they were put into line. When in line they did poorly: they were basically expert backwoodsmen who were more at home fighting in the native style unlike the Compagnies Franches de la Marine, who were trained to perform both functions.

I merely included the Milice in my lists as an option in line in case anyone wished to field them as such (because it did happen at least once, possibly twice and perhaps on other occasions. You'd have to be desperate for Line Troops though because they're much better as Skirmish Troops.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

JOHN BOND 001

Post by JOHN BOND 001 »

Thank you Capt Fortier and Captain Reid for your input , much appreciated, Capt Fortier and Doug its a interesting period to game.
cheers John