Lopsided dice

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

DougM

Lopsided dice

Post by DougM » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:04 am

A quick game of Chain of Command at home with the nephew. Early War French (me) vs Early War German - scenario.. delaying battle.

In the course of which I rolled two end of turns (triple six on five dice), one of which saw the German Feldwebel (Senior Leader) rout off table with one squad and their Junior Leader.

The game was decided at the last by an extremely lop-sided set of dice:

The Blue dice - needing 5 & 6 to hit... the Green dice needing 6's to kill. This wiped out the last of a second squad, killed their Junior Leader and saw the German Force Morale drop to zero.

Overall, the dice did me every favour, and him none at all. I am sure I will pay for this in some future game.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Truscott Trotter

Re: Lopsided dice

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:43 am

Ouch, it does happen have been on either end of this in 2 games this last 6 .months.

I did read a proposal from a player to up the number of starting FM loints to flatten out the curve but I have not tried it myself....yet. tis a big change

Vanth

Post by Vanth » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:36 pm

In the immortal words of th philosopher Dydactylos: "Shit just happens, what the hell."
Vanth
"...there are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..."

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:44 pm

I refer the honourable gentlemen to my motto.....
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

DougM

Post by DougM » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:09 pm

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:43 am
Ouch, it does happen have been on either end of this in 2 games this last 6 .months.

I did read a proposal from a player to up the number of starting FM loints to flatten out the curve but I have not tried it myself....yet. tis a big change
Nah, upping the FM points would just make games drag longer and see unrealistic casualty tolls for a game, besides disturbing the balance in any campaign games.

I think it's just a case of accepting that occasionally in a 'bucket o' dice' game - there will be a freak result that will have an effect on the outcome. If we wanted predictability and consistency, we wouldn't use dice. It's just this game, there were a few results strung together.
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Seret

Post by Seret » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Vanth wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:36 pm
In the immortal words of th philosopher Dydactylos: "Shit just happens, what the hell."
Wise words indeed.