Going tactical on deployment

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

Going tactical on deployment

Post by john de terre neuve » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Another question, I have always looked at tactical as movement activation (I suspect some will say it is a stance rather than a movement), and as such on deployment you could not go tactical. And as a follow up could you go tactical when pinned by either infantry fire or mortar barrage.

Thanks,

John

Truscott Trotter

Re: Going tactical on deployment

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Well the autbor thinks its a stance in the FAQ so I guess thats how we play it.

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:40 pm

We've been allowing deploying as tactical for our games. In terms of real life, it makes sense that a unit should be able to deploy making maximum use of cover.

Chris

Seret

Post by Seret » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:55 pm

john de terre neuve wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:44 pm
I have always looked at tactical as movement activation
I can see why, because you can combine tactical and movement. But you can also adopt tactical while making no movement (section 4.4). So tactical and movement are two different things.

So yes, you can totally deploy in tactical. But if you don't want to shoot or move it would usually just be better not to deploy. Troops in tactical are hard to hit, but troops off table are invulnerable.

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Since you can't move on the turn you deploy, deploying in tactical makes sense assuming you don't plan to fire, or go on overwatch/do covering fire. Probably more useful in general for an attacker than a defender.

Chis
Seret wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:55 pm
john de terre neuve wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:44 pm
I have always looked at tactical as movement activation
I can see why, because you can combine tactical and movement. But you can also adopt tactical while making no movement (section 4.4). So tactical and movement are two different things.

So yes, you can totally deploy in tactical. But if you don't want to shoot or move it would usually just be better not to deploy. Troops in tactical are hard to hit, but troops off table are invulnerable.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the clarifications. I just noticed that I have played 19 games of CoC so far this year and am still learning!

John

ps No one answered the question re going on tactical when pinned by infantry or barrage fire. I presume since Tactical is not movement a Leader can command the squad to go on Tactical when pinned increasing cover from light to hard when pinned by infantry fire.

Peter

Post by Peter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:47 pm

When pinned you are effectively tactical. I know you can fire at half effect, but still I don't think you get a double benefit.

Peter

Seret

Post by Seret » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 pm

I agree. The same rationale is given for the cover boost from being pinned as the one for going tactical ("making the best use of available cover"). So if you're pinned you're already getting the same benefit tactical gives.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks again.