Can a vehicle senior leader order a deployment?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tomm

Re: Can a vehicle senior leader order a deployment?

Post by Tomm » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:11 pm

On which note, there will usually not be a Royal Tank Regiment (or whoever) Senior Leader in most games. Does this mean armour always has to make the 'lack of SL off board' roll? That would seem extreme.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Yes my point exactly Tomm - would be nice for Rich to consider but he is at Crisis and will be sampling the local beers about now!

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:51 am

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:58 pm
Also vica versa?
An infantry SL influences the die roll on deploying a vehicle?

We have always played they do but realistically maybe not.

I agree with Neil some intersting points raised by this discussion and it is only 'gamey' in the sense it is discussing game rules.

I don't think anyone is trying to twist the rules but it is easy to misread that sentence, I think it could have been tighter in how it was written.

I am sure we have discussed this before but for some reason it never made it to the FAQ.
Yes TT I will be suggesting in our games that if someone has enough support points for a troop of vehicles that the Infantry SL can't help the Troop and the Troop SL can't help the Infantry. An adjutant could help both. That just feels more correct to me.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 am

Not to mention the NAAFI tea lady - she can tell them all where to go! 😀

Tomm

Post by Tomm » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Why would an infantry regiment adjutant have any effect on an armoured regiment squadron?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:01 pm

Presumably the armour didn't turn up by accident someone must have planned it , normally at Battaloon level I admit but someone in the O group would be resposible for coordinating the armour attached to the infantry..
Now the staff officer himself is unlikely to get near the pointy end so he would delegate.the task- possibly to a company or battalion adjutant (plts don't have them IIRC).
Simples 😀

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:12 am

Didn't WW2 see the introduction of the external telephone fitted to the back of the tank so that infantrymen could communicate with the commander and either warn him of threats, or direct him to deal with any opponents giving the infantry grief?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:21 am

Yup but not sure that is relevant here.

The question is chain of command and who can give orders not so much how they are communicated.

The phone was useful in combat sure but what we are talking about here is off table. Most tankers kept their hatches open and heads/bodies up until the shooting started so easy for an adjutant to yell at him from the ground or climb up on the tank.

batesmotel34

Post by batesmotel34 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:48 pm

As a slightly different question, if the AFV with the SL is already on table, should any off table AFVs from his platoon have to roll for deployment as if there is no SL off table? (Does it change if there is or isn't a SL off table who isn't in line of command for the AFVs, e.g. if there isn't a SL off table who isn't a ranking SL).

Chris

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:23 pm

batesmotel34 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:48 pm
As a slightly different question, if the AFV with the SL is already on table, should any off table AFVs from his platoon have to roll for deployment as if there is no SL off table? (Does it change if there is or isn't a SL off table who isn't in line of command for the AFVs, e.g. if there isn't a SL off table who isn't a ranking SL).

Chris
Chris, I'd say not. Most armour SLs have access to radios which they can use to communicate with any of their platoon assets still off table. There is no "platoon runner" to be delayed or go missing which is the rationale given in section 4.3 on page 15 for units being held up if the infantry platoon SLs are deployed.
John