Operation Sealion

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

John Secker

Operation Sealion

Post by John Secker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:58 pm

I just bought and downloaded this book, very nice. One thing is puzzling me, though. In all the scenarios the Big Men are not given a Level from 1-4, as normal. Instead they have a dice of some sort - D6, DAv, D6-2 and suchlike. I am not sure what to make of this. Is it meant to be a variable Level? That doesn't seem likely - apart from the fact that the dice indicated could give Levels above 4, a few lucky or unlucky rolls could grossly unbalance a scenario before it started. I wondered if these were perhaps a hangover from an earlier version of the rules. I can use the scenarios by making an educated guess at the proper Level for each Big Man, but it would be nice to know exactly what was intended.

Archdukek

Re: Operation Sealion

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Hi John,
The Operation Sealion book was written for version 2 of IABSM when Big Men had more variable abilities. The latest version 3 rules simplified the approach. You will find a document on how to convert version 2 scenarios to version 3 on the Lard Island Blog or on Robert Avery's Vis Lardica website which has a wealth of information for the rules.

John

John Secker

Re: Operation Sealion

Post by John Secker » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:46 pm

Aha! Yes, thank you - I have found this document now and all is explained. Not only do I understand why these Dx ratings are there, the blog post (at http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=668#) tells me how to convert the old style Levels to the new.