Moving through troops

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Bert

Moving through troops

Post by Bert » Fri May 17, 2019 5:21 am

Hi
Assume a unit want to pass through a friendly group. I have to score enough pips (on dice) for passing the width of the movement tray in it's entirely ?
How do you proceed exactly ?

Thks

Bertrand

Archdukek

Re: Moving through troops

Post by Archdukek » Fri May 17, 2019 9:11 am

Hi Bertrand,
The rules for troops moving through other friendly groups are set out on page 37 with various restrictions such as breaking up formations. The FAQ confirms that a unit must roll for sufficient movement to be able to clear the unit it is moving through otherwise it stops in contact with the rear of the unit.

If your question is about whether you need to roll sufficient extra distance to cover the lip of the movement tray, that's something you need to agree with your opponent and be consistent about. Personally I tend to ignore the movement tray and just measure from the figures and if they get clear then I place the movement tray in front of the unit and ignore the extra centimetre of movement involved. However, I also measure ranges from the figures and not the lip of the tray to be consistent. You can use whichever method you prefer.

John

Bert

Post by Bert » Fri May 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Thank's for the quick response.
I thought to apply the rule of crossing a minor obstacle. Does this seem relevant ?

Bertrand

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 pm

No I don't think it is.
As I said there are rules for moving through other troops on page 37. Individual Groups can move through other individual groups without any movement penalty reflecting the loose organisation of such groups. Skirmish troops can move through anyone without penalty. But formations are broken up if they interpenetrate with a non-skirmisher group. That seems penalty enough without adding anything further given that the formation will need to use an action to reform by Forming Up! when next activated.

John

Bert

Post by Bert » Fri May 17, 2019 9:24 pm

Ok
That's make sense. :)