Swamp fox

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Pvt weezle

Swamp fox

Post by Pvt weezle »

Have been playing SP solo for two years. I have finally found four old friends (have not played SP but veteran gamers) that want to give the Swamp Fox campaign a try with me. Before I present the rules to them I need to clarify two items. First, when playing with four players, two per side, do you add extra flags? Secondly, how do you determine, between the two players on one side, who gets the flags. Would appreciate any and all thoughts on these questions. Really hoping to hook these old fa-ts on the rules as I enjoy SP and COC. can can see a real opportunity here…..
Lard for life,
Dan
Capt Fortier

Re: Swamp fox

Post by Capt Fortier »

When we've played SP2 with two or more to a side we tend not to add in more flags and leave it to the players to either negotiate between themselves or have a nominated commander who makes the final call. I've not experienced a situation where there wasn't a ready consensus as to how to best put them to use.

And good luck with your worthy mission to win over some more converts to Lard!
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Personally I would not add any flags (it really messes up the 4 card free activation probabilities).

However what I've sometimes done is allowed each player a 'pocket flag', which they keep 'in hand' and which they cannot use by itself but combine with either one or two (NOT 3) other flags at a point of their choosing (allowing a timely Step Out or Crashing Volley or Leader Activation or whatever).

Once used it's gone until the next Chapter End.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I don’t add extra Command Flags either and generally leave it to the players to decide who gets to spend the flags when. It usually works. If you don’t think that will work with your players then designate one per side as the overall Force Commander who gets the final say. Make sure that they know that the other guy will be the Force Commander in the next game so they better play fair. :)

John
Forst

Post by Forst »

I notice in several of the Swamp Fox scenarios that it says loyalist militia have 8 men, but the troop data says the usual 10 for militia.

Does anyone know which is correct?

Ie is 8 man deliberate to make them more fragile, or a typo?
Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

I always add flags for larger games: +1 flag for six or more units, and +2 for nine or more. Keeps the game moving along and allows you to use bonuses like ‘sharp practice’ and ‘pas de charge’ more than once in a blue moon. Would definitely consider doing so for multi-player games.

Works fine if the extra flags are marked in some way and don’t contribute to the four flags = bonus activation and the three flags in a row = random event.
cstoesen

Post by cstoesen »

The 8 men groups were deliberate to make them more fragile.

Chris

Forst wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:33 am I notice in several of the Swamp Fox scenarios that it says loyalist militia have 8 men, but the troop data says the usual 10 for militia.

Does anyone know which is correct?

Ie is 8 man deliberate to make them more fragile, or a typo?
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est
Forst

Post by Forst »

Thanks, will give the scenarios a go!