What's this setting?

Your outlet for items not relating to TFL rules!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

steve_holmes_11

What's this setting?

Post by steve_holmes_11 »

Not TFL, through I would be interested to know whether any TFL rules cover this setting.

After several years I have assembled armies representing the Portuguese and Dutch in India, Arabia and Africa.
The Dates are approximately 1500 - 1650.
I'm using the Irregular Wars rules, or a cut down Dragon Rampant (Osprey) for smaller fights.

It struck me that the setting ticks several boxes:
* Colonial (Men in ships against natives)
* Renaissance (Extremely tenuous, not much Renaissance in Portugal, through there's a Mughal driven Renaissance in India).
* Pike and Shot(te), most forces have shooters, the Europeans have pikemen, who abandon or shorten their pikes, often fighting as sword and buckler men. Meanwhile the locals have Elephants, light artillery, matchlocks, bows, warriors and cavalry.

Maybe I need a new title: Age of Exploration - the East Indies.

I'm enjoying the games with the present rulesets.
But I wonder, are there any Lardy rules, or adaptations that might suit the setting.
Toys R Fun
tburgt

Re: What's this setting?

Post by tburgt »

The 2017 Lard summer special has an article titled Sharpley Buffed, which is a late 16th century warfare adaptation of Sharp Practice 2.
The 2017 Lard christmas special has a number of articles on pirates and one English Civil War adaptation. Again all for Sharp Practice 2.

I think this is quite close to what you're looking for.

T.
steve_holmes_11

Re: What's this setting?

Post by steve_holmes_11 »

Thanks, that is indeed close, and I could likely adapt my Dragon Rampant retinues.
Toys R Fun