Fisticuffs (pursuit)

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Mervyn

Fisticuffs (pursuit)

Post by Mervyn »

We had a good game last night based on the Indian Mutiny - love the rockets!
A couple of questions arose following fisticuffs that I wanted to check on.
1. After resolution, the loser has moved away - is there no immediate pursuit/follow-up? I’m sure I’ve read elsewhere that there is no pursuit, but just checking. Especially with irregulars…
2. After resolution, the victorious cavalry who had either galloped or cantered into combat - should their status be reduced by a level (gallop to canter, canter to walk), or even reduced to stationary? Logically it seems to make sense, especially if there is no pursuit, that they would need to mill around a bit to sort themselves out.
Grateful for any thoughts.
Archdukek

Re: Fisticuffs (pursuit)

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Mervyn,

1. No, there is no immediate pursuit after Fisticuffs. The victors will have to wait until they are next activated to pursue a defeated enemy.

2. Strictly all cavalry engaged in Fisticuffs are reduced to the halt and any movement afterwards starts at the Walk. However, some players prefer to vary this depending on the level of success in Fisticuffs with very successfully chargers being able to continue on at the gallop or canter. Captain Red (David Hunter) has some interesting rules for this in his Cerro Manteca rule tweaks for his Peninsular War games.

John
Mervyn

Post by Mervyn »

Thanks John, that confirms the position regarding immediate follow up. We may allow something like up to a few inches for cavalry after certain fisticuffs results…

I’ve had a quick look at Capt Reid’s blog, some great stuff there, but haven’t come across his tweaks. We will probably house rule too, but noted that they “should” be at the halt which certainly makes sense when we thought about it.

Cheers
Mervyn
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Mervyn,

You will find the good Captain’s rule tweaks and Peninsular War lists for the Cerro Manteca campaign in the Files section of the Sharp Practice Facebook Group.

John