This is incredibly frustrating as the Romans

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Sincilbanks

Re: This is incredibly frustrating as the Romans

Post by Sincilbanks »

runninghorse74 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:34 am I do think it is hard for the Romans and very hard for them against chariots.
I haven't used imperial Romans that much but have used late Republican.
When building a force I look at the opponents
If they are mainly foot like the germans then you can purchase another legionary group and then top up with cavalry and/or tribal skirmishers - these allow Romans to have ambush points.
This all depends on points rolled for.
Don't forget caetrati with their flexible drill.

Against possible mounted opponents Britons in chariots and even Gauls with there noble cavalry my first few support options are cavalry, Numdian and Spanish both have advantages and you can have Roman mounted warriors as well.
So this allows a possibility of 3 extra cavalry units, again depending on points rolled.
But the chariots are still difficult to operate against.
I have tried successfully and unsuccessfully using the table edge to secure a flank whilst moving my troops.
So far I see the Romans need to take their time advancing and even not moving a turn if it means keeping the whole force together to mutually support.
This does mean the game can be slow but once familiar with the rules declining a turn can mean the game does move quick enough.
This does seem like good advice, albeit I have an Imperial army not a Republican one so a lot of those cavalry options don't exist.

For me, passing a bunch of turns until I have my full force on the table and ready to advance without pressuring the Barbarian player while the Barbarian player simply passes while he waits for his ambush opportunity not only makes for a really dull game (why not just start the game with the Roman player having his forces on the board and in position and skip all the early card drawing?) but also means the game takes a lot longer than otherwise and one of the key attractions for Infamy is that I can get a game over in a few hours.
Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

For me, passing a bunch of turns until I have my full force on the table and ready to advance without pressuring the Barbarian player while the Barbarian player simply passes while he waits for his ambush opportunity not only makes for a really dull game (why not just start the game with the Roman player having his forces on the board and in position and skip all the early card drawing?) but also means the game takes a lot longer than otherwise and one of the key attractions for Infamy is that I can get a game over in a few hours.
That sounds familiar. This kind of situation is the kind of thing that caused us to do away with Ambush Points. Its a great illustration of how Ambush becomes the game and not just a part of it, as I mention a couple of days ago.

"Deployment" points work very well in Chain of Command but adapting the idea for Infamy, in the manner it has been, really hasn't worked as far as I'm concerned.
Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Captain Reid wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:40 am
Doing away with Ambush points completely seems quite radical, but I can see the merit. I also wonder about making Ambush Points akin to Moveable Deployment Points in SP. So say (and this is just off the top of my head), they begin in your Deployment Zone and you get up to one per Leader. They move up to 12" when their Leader chip is drawn but must cease movement if they come within 12" of an enemy Ambush Point or Deployment Zone, or if they enter the line of sight of an enemy Unit. You'd need to tie Leaders and Units to specific Ambush markers, but it'd allow for use of terrain to conceal one's approach.
I can't really comment on Deployment Points in SP. I've only played a few games of SP and they weren't used in them. The process is clearly an off shoot of Deployment Points in Chain of Command (as are Ambush Points) right down to the 12" zone.

However, you have touched on one way we tried to make Ambush Points a bit more controlled, in linking Leaders and Units to a specific point.

The intent being to spread the jeopardy around a bit by giving all Barbarian (or Roman) units and Leaders a number and allocating that number to a specific Ambush point. If that point was discovered and removed, the units allocated there went with it. We also experimented with removing the result that gave Deployment status to a Point instead of removal. In that case the units stayed in the game but had to come in on the table edge zone along with whatever else was there.