6-15mm Great War 3D-printed Miniatures

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Henry Turner

6-15mm Great War 3D-printed Miniatures

Post by Henry Turner »

Hello everyone!

I hope you won't mind a bit of a plug or attempt at self-promotion?

My name's Henry Turner and I recently appeared on the God's Own Scale podcast (https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/) to promote a Kickstarter of mine, Europe Asunder: The Great War, which follows on from my Napoleonic iterations of the Europe asunder project.

The Kickstarter can be accessed here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ag ... -great-war

Unfortuantely there's a URL limit in posts, so while I'd love to link to more items such as the stretch goals or our free sample pack - those will have to be tracked down on the Kickstarter page itself!

Anyhow, I just wanted to say that, with 48 hours left on the funding window, I'm feeling compelled to try pitch the project to whoever I can!

So, what's on offer?

Obviously WWI content is up for grabs but, among the add-ons, all my previous projects are on offer; various Age of Sail ranges, two ACW ranges (6mm and 15mm) and my Napoleonics.

With the WWI content there's a choice between STL files (pre-exported models "ready to print") and, a smidge more unique among offerings from 3D designers like myself, Custom Blender Files.

Custom Exporters to create Unique Miniatures
These files allow people to export their own miniatures, configured as they like them. Tweaks can be as simple as toggling different items of headwear or facial hair, pre-positioned within the file, on or off, but can range as far as moving items around or even adjusting elements of the sculpts themselves. Everything is comprised of separate objects and is modular in construction.

Taking a British Tommy as an example - his belts, ammunitition cartridges, bayonet, entrenching tool, tunic, legs, head, hat, hair, etc. are all separate items that can be toggled, replaced or moved about.

With my Napoleonic range, some very dedicated users enjoyed tweaking marching poses so that soldiers would be looking left or right, with their muskets angled in different directions to make more "natural" looking units.

The STL Files

If all that sounds a bit too technical, I hope the default STLs will still be plenty compelling. Currently we've unlocked 9 nations; the UK (both Western Front Dress and "Tropical" Dress, also complemented by the British Indian Army), France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Russia, Australia, New Zealand and the Ottomans.

Each nation has 30 poses, covering riflemen, officers, HMGs and (where applicable) LMGs. The project has stretch goals to further unlock other special weapons (such as snipers and flamethrowers), as well as artillery pieces.

People have asked me why the vehicle offerings seem absent - well that's because the wonderful M Bergman's already done a great *free* WWI range of vehicles that can be had for free on Thingiverse!

Conclusion
Anyway, that's about all I can really waffle on about I suppose - but if anything sounds interesting, I'd of course suggest checking the Kickstarter page. Beyond that, searching "Turner Miniatures" on Facebook will yield our discussion group there and, what's more I also have YouTube channel that features some guides and 3D printing advice.

If you're altogether unfamiliar with 3D printing, I'd also recommend googling a lovely guide - "An Idiots Guide to 3D Printing," which you'll find over on Wargaming3D, which is written specifically for detailing to newbies just what's involved with resin printing!