Brunswick light inf

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

ulsterandy

Brunswick light inf

Post by ulsterandy »

I am currently brig all of my brunswick light's bns and avg into one brig.
Questions. The avg I have classed as vet. The 3 light's as revs.

If I break down the lights into skims, I have worked it out as 3 skrim stands as they lose one for being revs , but can be recalled if needed.
The avg are vet so put out 4 stands.

Or are the lights only lights in name only? Thus are pbl.
Contrarius

Re: Brunswick light inf

Post by Contrarius »

The Brunswick Lights, like the Line, were all fairly new recruits, and predominately very young. They’d probably had little time for additional light infantry training. Even so they performed very well both at QB and at Waterloo with, I think it was the 2nd Light, singled out for its excellent behaviour. Seem to recall a mention of some of the Brunswick lights being deployed as skirmishers at QB. Would have to check if that was a full battalion: most folk seem to assume it was a ‘third rank’ from one or more of the battalions.
Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Found a letter stating that at QB the 2nd Lights and Leib Battalion took back part of the woods on the right wing while the 2nd Line stood resolutely in square fending off all-comers. Doesn’t say specifically that 2nd Lights were in skirmish order, which I may have read elsewhere.
Anyway, hope that’s vaguely of some help.
ulsterandy

Post by ulsterandy »

Tys for that
Mark Middleton

Post by Mark Middleton »

From the 100 days campaign

The Brunswickers deployed between Bossu Wood and the road to Charleroi. Duke of Brunswick deployed two companies of the Vanguard Battalion in the wood, and the well-trained Jager Battalion in a ditch near Gemioncourt. The jagers were deployed in groups of 4 at intervals of six paces.
Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

ulsterandy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:48 pm Or are the lights only lights in name only?
Had a quick glance at the Brunswick 1815 lists for Sharp Practice in Lard Mag 2020, and they treat the Brunswick Light Battalions as a cut above the Line. They are costed at 6pts versus 4 pts for Line as a result of several abilities characteristic of true LI, namely ‘Light Bobs’, which allows them to deploy further from the Deployment Point and Sharp Practice, which for the cost of bonus cards allows them to fire twice in a turn. They’re also slightly better drilled.

Whether this is all really warranted is hard to say, but I noticed that the Brunswick SP lists posted on this forum back in around 2019 by BaronWreckedOften don’t differentiate at all between Line and Light.