Leader casualties

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Forst

Leader casualties

Post by Forst »

Just rereading the rules and wanted to check whether when rolling to see if a leader is hit, this is as well as the pleb being killed or instead of one of them?

Ie 2 kills and leader rolls a 1 is that a) 2 killed and leader rolls for his injuries, or b) 1 killed and the second kill converted to leader injuries?

Also if all the plebs are killed does the leader auto get hit for any extra kills?

Also what happens to a leader in melee if he is the only one on his side left standing?
Captain Reid

Re: Leader casualties

Post by Captain Reid »

It's instead of one of the men, not additional.

If all the men are killed then the Leader should really take an automatic hit. Some people think he should take all the excess kills, not just a single hit - it's up to you how you want to do that.

If a Leader is the only man left standing on his side, he will have no Shock, so he won't go anywhere (in Infamy, unlike CoC and SP, it is Shock that determines how far you fall back from a lost combat). So he stays and fight on heroically. And quite right too. Some people presume he should be allowed to move away from the combat on his next Activation. I am not one of them as I think the opposition would tend to make that somewhat tricky - he needs to drive them back first.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.
Forst

Post by Forst »

If the leader in his own in melee as you suggest, and any hits are automatically on him how do you work out the fight?,

Do the opponents roll their dice, only hit on a 6 ( ignore shock), and then roll for armour? Then the leader rolls for wounds based on number of kills.

Or do you ignore armour and still roll to see if he takes damage ie under number of kills?

The latter seems necessary if the warlords ability to use extra dice is to make any sense, because it he is automatically hit on a kill then he will have no downside to going flat out with 6d6, which will improve his chances of a win!
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

I personally have no issue with I'm going all out with no downside in such a position.
The few accounts we have of centurions actually in action have them fighting like nutters, often alone.

So to elaborate, when fighting alone I'd let Leaders use all dice available to them but they'd take every kill that the enemy rolled (however they'd get an armour save appropriate to their type). Yes, it makes a lone Leader potentially a right nuisance. Against that, while he's fighting alone, he can't influence or command any troops.

It partly depends how you view the game (some people like the units to represent more than one or two men per model), and also how you view the nature of ancient fighting and the role of leaders, especially Roman leaders.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.