Risk to Generals

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Hannover

Risk to Generals

Post by Hannover »

Have not been enamoured with the 'Risk to General' rules, so offer these as an alternative. Try them out and tell me what you think.

Risk to Generals
Any General attached to a regiment is at risk of becoming a casualty if the regiment suffers casualties.
Score RISK to GENERAL – Roll 2d6
2-3 Horse killed – General is dismounted, command range is halved until another horse is found – roll d6 each turn 4,5,6 required to obtain another horse.
4-5 Flesh wound that needs attention, General is unavailable next turn while he obtains medical help.
6-7-8 General is unharmed apart from a small hole in his coat.
9-10 Staff Officer hit next to General −1 ADC next turn.
11 General mortally wounded – General remains conscious sufficiently to hand on details. After one turn General is replaced.
12 General killed – each turn Roll d6 to determine if replacement has been found, roll d6 each turn 4,5,6 required.

DCRBrown

Re: Risk to Generals

Post by DCRBrown »

H,

Some interesting points - I quite like 9-10: the idea of losing a Staff Officer next turn.

DB

Old Grunt

Post by Old Grunt »

Looks like this will add some interesting flavor to the game.

My son and I are playing the 1st day at Gettysburg (McPherson's Ridge) latter today. I think we'll give these a try.

Tony TRT

Post by Tony TRT »

Hi Hannover,
I like your thinking here and have two questions.

In the Picketts Charge FAQ the Risk to General is as follows.
If a general was attached to the lead unit in a losing charge, where the lead unit was either whipped or routed or a general was attached in a losing melee, then roll on the Risk to General Table.

Your definition appears to be broader.
"Any General attached to a regiment is at risk of becoming a casualty if the regiment suffers casualties"

So, that could be a regiment suffering casualties from firing or suffering casualties in a charge or melee even if the lead unit does not lose?

Secondly, "9-10 Staff Officer hit next to General −1 ADC next turn"
Does this apply even if no Staff Officer is attached to the regiment?

Regards
Tony

docfin

Post by docfin »

I have a couple of points, there seems to be a lot of negative effects and I wonder if this will just stop generals being attached. Do the benefits outweigh the negeatives.
If a general takes a hit, would this reduce casualtys by one on the unit.
Maybe a test to see if he is hit first before rolling for effect, say 12 on a 2D6

Tony TRT

Post by Tony TRT »

OK, I Lied, I have three questions.

"4-5 Flesh wound that needs attention, General is unavailable next turn while he obtains medical help"

If the Brigadier is unavailable for the turn are you then going on to make the Brigade "Out of Command" for the turn, assuming that the Brigade is obeying orders?

Regards
Tony

Hannover

Post by Hannover »

Thanks for all of the comments. When we are playing Pickett’s Charge we all agree we are attempting a simulation and so we all generally agree on the situation in hand and decide accordingly, if there is disagreement a dice roll suffices! I appreciate with the more competitive players you need the rules to be more ‘hard and fast’. We started this idea obviously by reading many accounts of battles and realizing that the high mortality of generals was a consequence of them standing out by being on horseback e.g. Reynolds at Gettysburg and having easily recognised insignia. As the war progressed the ‘penny dropped’ and many generals dismounted and some even got rid of their rank insignia but this made command and control more difficult so this is what we are attempting to simulate. So, we decided to distinguish between mounted generals and generals on foot. The fact that they dismounted did not necessarily make them immune to becoming a casualty e.g. Richardson at Antietam, Armistead walking for almost a mile being untouched before becoming a casualty at close range at Gettysburg.
I agree that many of the consequences are negative so we want to try and address that by giving them more positives. Something like the rating list of generals that was published many years ago in Zouave magazine. I quite like the idea of rolling to see if they have become a casualty prior to rolling for effect, although we are probably going to go with a 10, 11 or 12 for mounted and 12 for dismounted. But if they encourage their men by appearing in the frontline perhaps a roll to increase their morale or bonuses for attacking but an increased risk of becoming a casualty (9-12/11-12?).
Similarly, we are generally in agreement that if the brigade is already carrying out an order given previously, then the brigade continues with that order on the brigadier being injured. If they are for example stationary, they cannot be issued with any new order until the general has been replaced.
Hope this gives some clarification and as always we are open to any further suggestions.