Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jshaw1515

Drill

Post by jshaw1515 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:49 pm

Has anyone ever used Drill?

Munin

Re: Drill

Post by Munin » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:43 pm

Yes, but it really only comes into play with larger Formations and in situations where you want to go from column to line quickly.

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Don't think we have ever used Drill, but Step Out has been used several times. Sharp Practice is probably the one most used(besides removing Shock)and Crashing Volley. Have seen Pas de Charge used to good effect a couple of times. Thin Red Line I've seen maybe once. I never seem to get the Command Flags at the right time to use TRL or else have so much Shock that even 3D6 movement won't get me there.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm

I let Drill allow a free Formation change (so potentially 2 formation changes in one Activation or two moves plus a Formation change). People then begin to use it a bit.

I've also started allowing Pas de Charge and Thin Red Line as needing only one card. This lets them see much more use but doesn't seem overpowering. In fact it makes both British and French players behave in the (presumably more desirable) cliched manner.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

jshaw1515

Post by jshaw1515 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:26 pm

Interesting idea--allowing PDC and TRL on a single command card. I have considered allowing players to roll 4 dice when executing a PDC or a TRL (or an ambuscade) and keeping the highest three dice for movement.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:49 am

Someone who (I think) was an American suggested it in the Facebook Group (or rather said he had been using single-card PdV and TLR to pleasing effect). I've found it very effective. The essential trouble, especially for TLR which is much more situational than PdC is the requirement to have the right Leader card plus two command cards at a moment when you want to charge the enemy, which makes it a very rare happening indeed.

I've also found that even allowing a free formation change, Drill isn't used much, ever.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.