Back again with a few Close Assault & Spotting questions!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Abwehrschlacht

Back again with a few Close Assault & Spotting questions!

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

We played again yesterday (our second game) and a few questions about Close Assault & spotting came up.

In the rules it says that if you are within 4" you are in close assault.

Q1: Does it cost a separate action to initiate close assault after an action to move into the 4" range, or is it part of the move to get within 4" of the opponent's unit and an automatic event of that move's action? One of the Big Men's actions is to initiate a charge into close assault, so this would seem to indicate the latter. Can any one clarify this?

Q2: We also had a situation where a unit A was activated that was in a building, but within 4" of an enemy unit B outside which outnumbered them. For Unit A to Close Assault in this situation would have been suicide, given how deadly it is, so we allowed them to shoot instead. This would probably cause less casualties on the opponent, but would have been the safer action given the numbers of the opponent in Unit B. Is this correct, or is Close Assault an automatic event given the distance?

Q3 Spotting, when does automatic spotting occur? We had Blind A advancing down a road on their card, this was in full view of enemy Blind B in cover and who had yet to take their turn. Blind A was in range for automatic spotting, yet Blind B was just out of range for automatic spotting. When is Blind A deployed? In it's current turn as soon as it is in automatic spotting range, or in Blind B's turn if their card was pulled?

Slightly convoluted questions, and I know there is more emphasis on enjoying the game than strictly following the rules, but I just wondered how the above examples worked in other people's games.

Vis Bellica

Re: Back again with a few Close Assault & Spotting questions!

Post by Vis Bellica »

Hi
Q1: No separate cost to initiate the Close Assault. Once you are within 4", it happens automatically. That said, today we had an interesting situation where a company of infantry charged past a stationary tank-killer and engaged then troops behind it. The infantry and tank-killer then spent the next turn or so happily within 4" of each other's backsides totally ignoring each other: the Umpire ruled that, in this specific case, they were both quite busy enough with what was happening in front of them to worry about what was going on behind!

Q2: Why hadn't the Close Assault already taken place? It should have happened as soon as one unit moved to within 4" of the other, no matter who was moving.

Q3: Neither. Happens on Tea Break.

Hope that helps

Cheers

R

Abwehrschlacht

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

Great thanks, that clears it up completely. In answer to your question about Q2, I think we didn't initiate the close assault when the first unit moved, mistakenly as we didn't realise it occurred automatically. We were using a small table to try out the rules so everything was a bit bunched up, hence missing the auto CA. As I said, this was only the second time we've tried this rule set out, so still ironing out some mistakes. It's a really good game though!

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

Sorry: didn't mean to come across as too critical! Glad you're enjoying the game: it gets better the more you play.

Abwehrschlacht

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

No, not at all, I knew we were doing something wrong when it was happening, I just wasn't sure what it was we were doing! Ha ha