Maori Wars

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

sjwalker51

Re: Maori Wars

Post by sjwalker51 »

The Balagan site is excellent for accounts of the earlier Wars , with detailed orbats for all the main actions but unfortunately he didn’t cover the 2nd and subsequent wars in the same way. Since our last discussions I’ve added a couple more books to the pile and Rolf’s recent articles in WI on the Australian frontier have revived my interest in NZ - now I just have to avoid being dist.... oooh, look...new Iron Duke stuff...
Lowtardog

Post by Lowtardog »

You do realise a campaign would have to be called Flipping Heke!
sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

I’m still working on having a Big Man called KiaOra
sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Bit of a long shot, but have any of our NZ War ‘regulars’ seen a book called “Tribal Guns and Tribal Gunners - the story of Maori Artillery in 19th Century New Zealand” (Bentley)? Doesn’t seem to be readily available in the UK but sounds fascinating.
Lowtardog

Post by Lowtardog »

I haventvheard of it, I have only really read about 1840s where they had the carriage, so guess they may be later, though could imagine them trading for a swivel gun which would be the ultimate shotgun.

On a complete tangent, the Brazilian tribes had a leader in 16th century who carried a swivel gun into battle now that would be a fun mini
roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 »

Hi Simon
I've read the book on Maori artillery, albeit some time ago. From memory I think there was one notable use of artillery during the 1840's. All the other instances were during the inter tribal Musket wars if I'm remembering this correctly. The book itself is based on the author's thesis. A good read if you can get hold of a copy.
sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Still lots of stuff to read but I’m sure there was an exchange of artillery fire between a Pa and gunboats during the Waikato campaign.

Getting hold of a copy might be a challenge ‘over here’ I suspect!
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

I fear the postage from NZ is going to be a killer.
roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 »

Well I hate to disappoint you Simon but there's another book just released that you'll have to add to your growing list.
It's titled "Soldiers, Scouts and Spies" by Cliff Simons

see link below
https://www.masseypress.ac.nz/books/sol ... and-spies/

I've just borrowed a copy from the local library and it's very good. Has a strong emphasis on military intelligence in the New Zealand Wars context.
Definitely recommended.

Roger