Germans for Kursk PSC (Recommendations)

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Gibby

Germans for Kursk PSC (Recommendations)

Post by Gibby »

Hi all,

I've recently finished painting up my Soviet rifle platoon plus various support options, and am now looking to do a German force so that I can host games to spread the Lard and also, well, play with myself if it comes down to it. :D

Anyway, my Soviet force is made up primarily of Artizan Designs' squad packs, new Scouts and such. These are really suitable for anything after Stalingrad so I picked up the Storming the Citadel PSC figuring that'd be a good place to start. I notice that the German platoon therein is armed with MG34s and thus my original idea to go with the Artizan LW Germans may not be a good fit (plus annoyingly Artizan now only do two unique LW Squads anyway so a full platoon will require duplications).

Does anyone have any recommendations for German figures aimed at mid-war action? I love Crusader's miniatures but wasn't sure if they're too Early (not a Wehrmacht expert if I am honest). I'm probably overthinking things. One thing I can say is that I dislike Warlord's plastics for anything other than conversions; the combination of true-scale weapons and "heroic" scale figures makes them look like they're holding sticks, and the faces are a bit too cartoony for me (and that's from an Artizan fan).
Truscott Trotter

Re: Germans for Kursk PSC (Recommendations)

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Black Tree Design
Got all my MW Germans here
Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

Gibby - try The Assault Group Germans - very nice. You could mix in some of the Empress ones with them. The Empress casts are gorgeous but really intended for late war Bulge type scenarios. Still, a good many of them are in cammo tunics and could be used for mid-war Ostfront.
A word of warning on Black Tree Design. They're nice castings as TT says, but there have been significant supply problems for UK customers recently, with orders going many months without being fulfilled. US customers are happier with their service.
EC
oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

Eclaireur wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 am A word of warning on Black Tree Design. They're nice castings as TT says, but there have been significant supply problems for UK customers recently, with orders going many months without being fulfilled. US customers are happier with their service.
There's almost universal frustration from their delivery times here in Oz as well. Which is a real shame, as the figures can be brilliant.
Truscott Trotter

Asssault group and Empress are lovely figures but both are pretty much late war IIRC.

It seems like Black Tree are getting back on track after a few months of personal problems but I guess it is a risk ordering from them.

I reckon some of the Crusader Minatures would be alright for Kursk. Just had a look at them and the LMGs are MG 34's.
DougM

Post by DougM »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:54 am Black Tree Design
Got all my MW Germans here
BTD do them, but I would not place an order with them, they still owe me packs from an order from December 2018, and I am not the only one. I'm actually a fan of the 1st Corps figures for Mid-Late War Germans in summer outfits, but they are very much an individual taste thing. Pretty sure Westwind do a suitable range, but the Westwind figures I have are small, so might not be suitable.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------
Truscott Trotter

Yeah as I said if you prefer (understandably) to avoid BTD then Crusader is your best bet.

They have some suitable figures and painted up in Field Green will do for MW and EW at a pinch.

If you avoid helmet decals and grey trousers there is very little difference between 1940 , 41 and 42 troops
In 1943 ankle boots started to appear but I reckon there were a few long boots around until 44
Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

Crusader are a good bet, as TT says, nb if you don't mind the larger weapons, though not quite as big as Artizan!

The Assault Group seem fine to me for anything from 1943 onwards - they do have the ankle style boot, it's true
https://theassaultgroup.co.uk/product/g ... -headwear/
Truscott Trotter

You could get the whole platoon here
Not sure what they are like scale-wise but they look OK to me.
http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/minia ... r-coc.html
Gibby

Post by Gibby »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the detailed replies. I think Crusader may be the best bet, or perhaps risking BTD. As has been said in the thread, Artizan have large weapons, and my Soviets being Artizan I think other ranges with larger weapons will be ideal. I find that the sizes of the figures differing doesn't bother me, but weapons and equipment don't get made to the size of the man, so to speak.

If Crusader will do for mid war with the right paintwork then I may give them a go. Can't imagine ankle boots got rolled out to everyone all at once...